Options

wireless issue !

nangananga Member Posts: 201
I have a new comcast connection linksys 54G router and a vista machine.

I tried setting it up...it does setup and shows the SSID with good strength.I can connect to the newtwork. but then onwards I cant load a single page.

ipconfig shows ip addresss...i can ping the default gateway as well.

Any idea whats going on.

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you go into the web config, there should be a status section. Is the router getting an IP address? Do you have the correct DNS information in there? When you change devices like this, sometimes you need to unplug your cable modem, let it sit for 30 seconds or so, and then plug it back in.
  • Options
    ArveanArvean Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Also router identification can be an issue. Cable is automatic, but for DSL you have to switch to PPPoE and insert your login and password.

Hope this helps...
    No trees were killed in the posting of this message. However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    Check with your ISP to see what settings your Linksys router needs to connect with its service. It could be something as simple as selecting the proper connection type (e.g., static, DHCP, PPPoE). Not all DSL systems use PPPoE (mine uses straight DHCP).
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    It may also be that your ISP is using MAC filtering. You may need to call in your address on the new router for them to update and authorize your router on the network. I can't remember if Comcast did that or not.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    nangananga Member Posts: 201
    Thanks for all ur help..........well i was sitting there for 4 hrs + trying to figure out what would be wrong with the basic setup of a wireless router....went through all the permutations of combinations.....well it started working finally...dont know what made it work.

I guess like what dynamic said...I spend 10 mins between each config changes ....

Thanks again