Options

server and domain system behavior q.

ranjitcoolranjitcool Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey Guys,

I had this q on my mind. had tried it but didnt still asnwer my q.

enviornment - 1 dc and 1 system which has joined the domain .

now when both the server dc, and the system(user) are up and running, i wud restart the dc.

What is the status of the user system. Would it need to reboot or wud the domain detect it on after it comes up?

also wud the system need to relogin if the dc restarts ? and i am assuming that any login attempts during restart will give an error domain not found ? ( but i dont think so coz i have logged into my system without it connected to the domain, so i am assuming it stores the password password on the local sam file)

sorry too many questions.. trying to understand the concept..

rj
Cleared Network+, MCTS.
Want to clear - CCSA, CCNA, VCP for now.

Spending time @ www.itgrunts.com - Tech Juice, Not from Concentrate!

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ranjitcool wrote:
    now when both the server dc, and the system(user) are up and running, i wud restart the dc.

What is the status of the user system. Would it need to reboot or wud the domain detect it on after it comes up?

Nothing would happen to the client. If you had another system on the network, say a file server, my guess would be that access would not be a problem since the user recieved a "token" when he logged in that has all his group memberships/permissions, and this is what gets presented to the remote systems for access rights.
    ranjitcool wrote:
    also wud the system need to relogin if the dc restarts ?

No. Same reason as above.
    ranjitcool wrote:
    and i am assuming that any login attempts during restart will give an error domain not found ? ( but i dont think so coz i have logged into my system without it connected to the domain, so i am assuming it stores the password password on the local sam file)

This depends on the domain/local policy for cached credentials. By default a computer will cache the last 10 (or is it 20) logins. If a DC cannot be contacted when a user logs in, it will log the user in with cached credentials if they exist. As a matter of fact, under XP, you always login with cached credentials first (by default, but it can be changed) to speed up logins. XP will then connect to the network in the background while loading other things and update your credentials. W2K was the opposite, it would wait forever trying to log you in to the domain, and if after a minute or two it could not contact a DC it would use cahced credentials if they exist.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    ranjitcoolranjitcool Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    bowing.gif to sprkymrk!!

bowing.gifbowing.gifbowing.gifbowing.gifbowing.gifbowing.gifbowing.gifbowing.gif
    Cleared Network+, MCTS.
    Want to clear - CCSA, CCNA, VCP for now.

Spending time @ www.itgrunts.com - Tech Juice, Not from Concentrate!