Options

yet another resume Help thread

Phliplip112Phliplip112 Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
This is like the 3rd time I have redone my resume. I like to think this is the best one yet. so here it is tell me what i did wrong. you cant tell but the dates are in bold and italic. after look at it more like this maybe i should undo the bold lol

untitled-2.jpg

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You should open the resume with some sort of statement like a summary or objective (I prefer summary but opinions differ).

I'd also reorder it

Summary/Objective

Employment

Education/certifications

You can use the summary to throw in a little about yourself and also the skills. I'd also get a little more specific in your employment bullets. For example install operating system on various computers and servers. What operating system? I like to leave a little to the imagination myself so the reader wants to know more, but I think you need some more specifics in there. Also tailor you resume to the specific positions you are applying for. For instance if you are applying for a position supporting a Windows environment you should emphasize any experience in that area.

You can also leave off the legacy systems and protocols unless the position requires them. You don't really need IGRP on your resume as it is not even available on the latest loads.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    MCPWannabeMCPWannabe Member Posts: 194
    Very, very nice.. Your highlighting your skills. Now, I would leave everything in there. But include one additional section. Label it special projects or something like that. In this case, address the HR people who know nothing (and I mean nothing) about IT.

In this case, talk about things you've been trained to do in laymen's terms (e.g. setup a full network for secure usuage with cisco routers, assisted users with Microsoft Office in a networked environment, Fixed computers with over 300 happy customers, etc). You can also add this section to your cover letter. Just list it under a few bulleted points and talk about your enthusiasm for learning new things.

Do that and you are good. This is definitely a nice skills-based resume. I think that you should see a big improvement!
    I've escaped call centers and so can you! Certification Trail and mean pay job offers for me: A+ == $14, Net+==$16, MCSA==$20-$22, MCAD==$25-$30, MCSD -- $40, MCT(Development), MCITP Business Intelligence, MCPD Enterprise Applications Developer -- $700 a Day
  • Options
    jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    Summary/Objective = Cover Letter

If you don't have a cover letter you might as well put "I promise to always show up late, never do my work and spend my checks on drugs" on your resume.
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
  • Options
    jryantech wrote:
    Summary/Objective = Cover Letter

If you don't have a cover letter you might as well put "I promise to always show up late, never do my work and spend my checks on drugs" on your resume.

I disagree here. If that was the case I would have never gotten a job.....
  • Options
    so are you guys saying if I dont put an objective on there I need to have a cover letter?

I had a objective but I took it off because I ran out of space. I guess I could push the margins a .5 of inch and see if I can re-fit the objective and the project section on there.

also, if I can fit the project part can I put in there that I am the PC/Network support for friends and family and something about my cisco lab? I dont really have a lot of "projects"

You think I should change the"technical skills" to "technical expertise" ?

Ill repost what I have when I fix it
  • Options
    I'd put in a summary or objective weather you are using a cover letter or not.

If you want to save some space I would shrink your header down a bit. It doesn't need to be that large. I definitely wouldn't go over one page at this point in your career though.

I wouldn't put anything about your Cisco lab on there, but peoples opinions differ. You should leave skills rather than expertise. You don't want to have expertise as the heading and then one of the bullets be Basic Windows Server 200/2003 installation & configuration.
  • Options
    You don't want to have expertise as the heading and then one of the bullets be Basic Windows Server 200/2003 installation & configuration.

icon_lol.gif good point

Edit: i forgot to ask, what format do you suggest saving it because i did this in openoffice, then saved it as a .rtf but then opened it in word and the spacing is off and the lines are gone.

i could make a PDF out of it .....
  • Options
    just a little update...

Since i have been using this format i have been getting contacted a lot more i did fix some of the things you guys suggested and did add some details. In the 3 or so weeks i have posted this i have been contacted by 5 people. 2 of them were for sales, 1 was a helps desk that i didn't qualify for because i didn't pass the accounting test. Another could have been a good job but was in Texas. the latest one which i just got yesterday is a pre-screen for Google not sure what job its for though i applied to 2.

Some of you said to not put an objective/summary and then some did say to put it.What i did was post it on the job sites without it but if i was applying to the company directly i would make one up and tailor it to the specific position. Not sure in helped either way.

So i guess that this is a one good format for a resume. It may not be the best but it seemed to work better than the one i had before.