Options

MCP-270 How do I practice with a network

HI,

I have a standalone computer laptop that I am study from for the 70-270 exam, I am trying to make a network setup so I can simulate some network questions.

How do I create a simle network, I have two laptops, but am using one now.
Is the way to create a network simply by connecting the two laptops with an ethernet cable ? If not how is it accomplished. Can I create a network using bluetooth, both laptops have this capability, I'd rather use the cable if that is posible. I want to simulate mapping netdrives, sharing folders, etc.

I would rather not use the virtual software. Thanks all

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You could connect them directly with a crossover cable or through a hub or switch with two straight-through cables.

www.monoprice.com is a great place to order cables from, but now would probably be a good time to pick up some tools and learn how to make them yourself.

http://www.lanshack.com/make-cat5E.aspx
  • Options
    susuandmesusuandme Member Posts: 136
    I understand you can connect two laptops using a wireless network connection.

I tried this using xp advice, but it did not connect. It told me to
    first make a new wireless network connection.

Then I put in the name of this computer, it then asked me to
    put in a flash drive, which I did to copy the network connections.

It then told me to take outthe flash drive and plug it into an Acess point,
    I don't know what they meant by that,

It said then to plug it into the other laptop that I want to make the wireless connection to., I did and something happened it copied the files or something.

I then plug the flash drive back into the first computer and it finished the wizard,
    Now nothing works. Am Imissing something.

Can someone else step by step how to do this, make a wireless network connection between two laptops, so I can practice my mcp test, do sharing, map drives, make shared folder and other stuff. Thanks

ric
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Ah, sorry. I always go cabled when I can icon_redface.gif

You want to create what's called an "ad hoc" network.

Here's one tutorial I found, but if you want something else, just google something like windows xp ad hoc network.

http://www.home-network-help.com/ad-hoc-wireless-network.html
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I ran into a similar problem when studying for my 70-270.

What are the specs of your workstation? Most modern computer can run Virtual PC 2007 just fine. You will be able to run all your Windows XP and 2003 inside a Window on your computer. Well worth the time learning how to use it.

There is one more thing yuo need to do to pass your 70-270, and that is study for your 70-290. The material overlaps to the point where almost can't tell where one starts and the other begins. If you study them together I think a lot of things with make more sense to you. Sorry to say it, but this process worked well for me, but took about 6 months.

Check of www.vtc.com for some great videos too that might help you along.
    -Daniel