Options

Printer Inventory

wagnerbmwagnerbm Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
Does anyone know of a tool that will do a printer inventory of workstations on a network? We currently have Novell and are changing over to AD and need to know this for file and print migrations.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Brenda :D

Comments

• Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think HP Web JetAdmin will do this, but it's been a long time since I've used it
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Are you looking for shared printers connected to workstations or printers connected directly to the network? HP's Web JetAdmin tool will search for networked printers, but not shared printers (as far as I know).

When you share a printer in a Windows AD environment, the workstation or server publishes the shared printer in AD by default. I don't know if the same is true in a Novell NDS environment, but if the printers are published then here is an LDAP query that might help:

(&(uncName=*)(objectCategory=printQueue))

For those of you using AD, if you just want to view the printers as objects in AD - rather than see them in the query results - you will have to change a setting in ADUC. At the top level of ADUC, select View and then select Users, Contacts, Groups, and Computers as Containers. Now when you expand the OUs, the computers will appear in the left pane and any printers will be in the right pane. I find it easier to manage the few remaining shared printers we have through the query results rather than disrupting my view of Active Directory Users and Computers.
  • Options
    Okay. Maybe I stated this wrong. I did try the JetAdmin tool and it gave me all of the printers. But what I need to know is what computers have what network printer installed on them. Is there anything that can do this? icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I had to do a similar task previously for automating the setup process of some of our real estate agent computers (not domain members because they tend to have a very high churn rate in real estate and provide their own computer). I used VBScript and borrowed some of the code in this example to achieve what I needed to do, should work for you as well if you don't mind using VBScript.

http://www.visualbasicscript.com/m_46298/tm.htm
  • Options
    SilentsoulSilentsoul Member Posts: 260
    Spiceworks. DO IT!
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I'll second Spiceworks. It's great for doing inventories on all sorts of things.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    DameWare NT Utilities.
  • Options
    Thanks so much!! Just what I was looking for. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    wagnerbm wrote:
    Okay. Maybe I stated this wrong. I did try the JetAdmin tool and it gave me all of the printers. But what I need to know is what computers have what network printer installed on them. Is there anything that can do this? icon_thumright.gif

We run a Novell network and you can do this with Novell ZAM (Zenworks Asset Management). We've done it in the past to detect installed hardware i.e. amount of memory and software i.e. i Tunes lol on user machines.

Do you have ZAM setup?

Here's a Novell forum where someone is asking the same type of thing

http://forums.novell.com/novell-product-support-forums/zenworks/asset-management/207151-finding-printers-workstations.html