Options

Book Recomendation

seekseek Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
I picked up Implementing and Administering Security in a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Network.

I think its a great learning book..Comes with evaluation copys for 2003 server.

Its not a great exam study guide..but if you will be working in windows network..I think its a great buy.

Great hands on labs from CA, Kerbos, IPsec, Scanning, baseline anayzer, GPO for security, GPO sercurity templates, wireless.

If you find your self studying the guides for exam and wondering.."How exactly would I set that up"? This is a good book :)

If you can set up your lab with 2 PCs..You can pretty much try everything in the book.

Seek

Comments

• Options
    xeviousxevious Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi Seek,

Thanks for the recommendation.

I haven't contributed to the forum lately - been busy getting my resume together and attending free security seminars.

I just returned from a free Microsoft security summit in LA. It was an all day event covering patch management, and os hardening. There were other tracks, but those were the one I attended.

If you get a chance, go check it out. You can pick up demo apps, XP sp2, and talk with vendors. It's open to the public and the best part of it - it's FREE. :D

Working on the home lab is even better if you can launch a bunch of third party apps to supplement your training.

-Xevious
  • Options
    seekseek Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I like some things about MS patch management but not others.

Good:
    SUS

Bad:
    Baseline anayzer

I like to use a Nessus box for scanning. I find the reports better, more flexible and accurate.

We use Ghost, LanDesk for most pushes company wide, but I prefer to use comand like scripts. With psexec, 1 line of code and a share, you can push out a patch or package in 1/10 of the time. That way at the dept. meetings you always first done :)

I live in Ontario Canada, they may have some seminars like that in Toronto that I should look into.

Seek