Options

Should I wait for Windows 7?

mjonesmjones Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
I was reading the lastest news update concerning Windows 7 on the cnet website today. I have been debating on whether or not to take the 70-620 exam. I am currently studying for the CCENT and will be attending the Cisco Academy in January 09. I am going to put my focus on CCENT and then CCNA, however I want to be a MCP sometime by July 09. Should I take the 70-620 (which I must purchase and install) or should I just wait? What's the earliest you guys think Windows 7 will come out? Also this may sound like a stupid ? but do you guys think Microsoft will finally get it right with with this one?? icon_confused.gif

Comments

• Options
    mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If i've learnt onething about microsoft, it would be never to trust their "target" dates for product releases, vista makes a great example icon_rolleyes.gif
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    First, 620 will make you an MCTS, not an MCP. Second, whatever you learn about Vista will more than likely be applicable to Windows 7, so you'll only have to learn the new things once that's released. It's not like it's going to be something completely different. Third, if you know anyone who has Vista, you can install of their disk without a key and use it for awhile without activating. You could just make an ISO of the installation media, and install as necessary into a VM. Finally, Vista is a fine OS; don't buy into the FUD.
  • Options
    I read where all you had to take 1 microsoft test to become MCP. icon_confused.gif
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    mjones wrote:
    I read where all you had to take 1 microsoft test to become MCP. icon_confused.gif

those are the 200 tests thats make you MCP...

the new generation test, the 600 tests will make you MCTS/MCITP...
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    It's basically a different name for the same thing. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it ;)

What are your goals? Are you going for an MCSA/E? If so, one of the other exams will snag an MCP for you.
  • Options
    Yes my goal is to achieve the status of MCSA one day. Once again thank you DYNAMIK for the info. :)
  • Options
    TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    A little off topic, if your taking NetAcademy at a college look to check if it's four semesters. If it is you may want to go the 8 week route and take two of them in one semester. Four semesters is way too long for CCNA which would take like 2 years since Cisco courses aren't available during the summer I believe.

As for waiting for Windows 7, I wouldn't worry about it since there's always upgrade exams that fill you in the new stuff.

I wouldn't worry too much about MS exams yet though, I have my hands full with CCNA for quite awhile. But I'll probably look at MCTS too, but I think CCNA has enough work for a couple months.
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Talic wrote:
    A little off topic, if your taking NetAcademy at a college look to check if it's four semesters. If it is you may want to go the 8 week route and take two of them in one semester. Four semesters is way too long for CCNA which would take like 2 years since Cisco courses aren't available during the summer I believe.

As for waiting for Windows 7, I wouldn't worry about it since there's always upgrade exams that fill you in the new stuff.

I wouldn't worry too much about MS exams yet though, I have my hands full with CCNA for quite awhile. But I'll probably look at MCTS too, but I think CCNA has enough work for a couple months.

When i done it as part of my degree it was the 4 modules in two uni semesters (one normal year). I know other people who have done the same and have never came across it over 2 years. but its worth a check i guess.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    trizicus wrote:
    Dont know why you'd want to do that... Windows 7 is most likely going to suck... Has anyone noticed that its UI is a direct ripoff of KDE?

And then I noticed someone said Vista is good... With all honestly your opinion does not matter... Obviously you haven't played with something better.

I dont get why people hate vista so much. Ive just started using it and its not bad. not amazing tho either. people get carried away on the band wagon...i liked that thing MS done where they changed the gui and everyone who was slating it said it was great.

• Options
    trizicus wrote:
    Dont know why you'd want to do that... Windows 7 is most likely going to suck... Has anyone noticed that its UI is a direct ripoff of KDE?

And then I noticed someone said Vista is good... With all honestly your opinion does not matter... Obviously you haven't played with something better.

Wait, didn't KDE "rip off" Windows? icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    trizicus wrote:

Who died and made you the Roger Ebert of operating systems? Oh, that's right, Ebert isn't the be all end all of whether a movie is good, either.

icon_rolleyes.gif
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    trizicus wrote:

You're opinion does not matter to me you're obviously a M$ fanboy no matter how bad they suck.

Then someone said KDE ripped off windows...

*yawn* Good fight you opinion does not matter to me as well because you have no idea what you're talking about.

Please go back to whatever rock you crawled out of.
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    trizicus wrote:
    You're opinion does not matter to me you're obviously a M$ fanboy no matter how bad they suck.

*yawn* Good fight you opinion does not matter to me as well because you have no idea what you're talking about.

Jeez... Relax...
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    trizicus wrote:
    HeroPsycho wrote:
    trizicus wrote:

Who died and made you the Roger Ebert of operating systems? Oh, that's right, Ebert isn't the be all end all of whether a movie is good, either.

icon_rolleyes.gif

Ha!! if windows "sucks" so bad why the hell are you studying there certs? icon_scratch.gif

• Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    He's got two posts, the only two are Vista smears on a Vista forum. I think he's just trying to cause trouble.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    trizicus wrote:
    I may hate M$ but I am not dumb enough (or oblivious enough) to see that they dominate the industry.

Just out of curiosity, how dumb and oblivious do you have to be before you see that they dominate the industry?

Are you close? It took me many years and a lot of work (drunken_smilie.gif) before I got this dumb and oblivious. Hang in there; you'll get there someday icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Topic is locked, and trizicus, consider yourself warned. You're entitled to your opinions, but don't come in with a smug attitude and harrass our members. If you want to flame people who use Windows, go find a forum where courtesy and respect for others are not practiced.
    All things are possible, only believe.
This discussion has been closed.