Options

IPv6 and Cluster

PiotrIrPiotrIr Member Posts: 236
I’m going to set up fail/over clusters (first SQL/File, second Hyper-V) and NLB IIS cluster based on Windows Server 2008. My question is to which network I should disable IPv6:

1. Fail Over cluster HeartBeat
2. Fail Over cluster iSCSI
3. Fail Over cluster public
4. NLB cluster HeartBeat
5. NLB Public

Maybe some links with best practices for network configuration for cluster based on Windows Server 2008. I wasn’t able to find anything reasonable.

Best Regards

Comments

• Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I honestly don't see the benefits of IPv6 unless your whole network is using (needing) it ...

I also cannot find any documentation where ipv6 is preferred over ipv4 for xyz reason ..

Rading through some white papers of Microsoft - they also just mention that it is fully supported, but not that you should use one over the other ..
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Check out my article:
    http://www.shudnow.net/2008/03/13/exchange-2007-sp1-scc-using-server-2008-starwind-iscsi-part-1/

I walk you through every little step to set up a Server 2008 Cluster for Exchange 2007 including what I did with IPv6. It should help you.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    Gomjaba yes, on this stage I would agree with you. However problem is where I have to use IPv6.
    I disabled IPv6 on Exchange server has server just stopped to work. Then I found on Windows Server 2008 IPv6 has to be enabled to get Exchange 2007 working correctly.
  • Options
    PiotrIr wrote:
    I disabled IPv6 on Exchange server has server just stopped to work. Then I found on Windows Server 2008 IPv6 has to be enabled to get Exchange 2007 working correctly.

Not entirely true. If you disable IPv6 on a Hub Transport Server, services may fail. You have to completely disable IPv6 by going into the registry.

In fact, on Server 2008, if you have IPv6 enabled, Outlook Anywhere will not work since port 6004 for the RPC/HTTP does not listen on IPv6 and Server 2008 gives preference to IPv6. So if you want Outlook Anywhere to work, you will have to disable IPv6. The process for doing this his different depending on what server roles are on the box. You can read the following article for how to disable IPv6:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc671176(EXCHG.80).aspx
  • Options
    Many thanks for this royal. Your article is really good, it is quite difficult to find something interesting regarding Windows Server 2008 cluster configuration and yours blog answered for many of my questions, it’s clear, and easy for understanding.

I wish to get something similar about SQL 2008 cluster and IIS NLB cluster on Windows Server 2008.

If I disable IPv6 in registry on all servers will I have any problems with IIS, Hyper-V, SQL 2008?

Best Regards
  • Options
    By a way, maybe you have something like that about SQL 2008 cluster? And IIS cluster?
  • Options
    No problem. Glad you found the article to be useful. As for SQL, I'm not a SQL guy so I'm not sure. As for Server 2008 NLB, Andy Grognan has a guide similar to mine. You can find that article at:
    http://telnetport25.wordpress.com/2008/03/24/quick-tip-configuring-network-load-balancing-nlb-on-windows-2008-for-exchange-cas-servers/

As for Hyper-V, I don't really know if it's save to turn off IPv6. My lab at home is Hyper-V and I leave IPv6 on.
  • Options
    One again, thanks for this.