Options

Opinions on University of Phoenix degrees

kryollakryolla Member Posts: 785
I know a lot of people that get these thinking it is going to change their life only to be disappointed. I personally don't like them it is an easy way to get a degree due to giving out credits for life experiences. So managers what do you think of these online degrees.
Studying for CCIE and drinking Home Brew

Comments

• Options
    LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    The University of Phoenix from my experience is not viewed very favorably, but it is better than nothing. However, so many reputable schools have online classes now, so there is no need to go there unless you feel it is the right fit for you.
  • Options
    deadpool287deadpool287 Member Posts: 113
    i would like to rant about this.
    they SPAM your email. even after getting my "email removed" they continue. not to mention their commercials are boring at BEST.
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    While I cannot offer input on how they are viewed in the industry, I avoided them when I went back to school after I submit a request for more information.

I was harassed constantly by their admissions advisors, not one, but several of them. After the first advisor called, I explained now was not a good time to talk as I was busy at work, and I would love to talk in detail between a certain time. He continued to call and pressure me outside of the time I told him I would be available to talk in detail, never did call during the times I offered. Meanwhile, the other admissions people continued to call even though I explained I had been contacted already. Very unprofessional overall.

I would personally try to look for a not for profit school, around my region they seem to have a better reputation. Where I am at now, I am fairly disappointed because the quality of the instructors is absolutely terrible with the amount of misinformation given out and the fact that many of the instructors there are not at all knowledgeable on the topic. I have one instructor who was a CAD instructor who lead several classes well out of his league including WAN Communications and Design, and various Cisco classes (these were great, he probably felt like an idiot when even the Cisco newbies with little to no prior technical knowledge were pointing out inaccuracies in his statements). The problem I have witnessed with many for profit schools, is if you encounter a bad situation, it is often times much more difficult to get anybody who really seems to care to address your concerns - there is more often a mentality of pushing you off onto the next class asap and getting you through your program without real regard to your education.
  • Options
    ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    If your going to pick any online school i would go with Devry. If you do a search on it in the forum i believe there was a previous post where i listed how all the schools online had just been rated. Devry was listed at number one.

I myself am a Devry Student and have taken numerous Networking courses from them which are all based from the odom books from cisco.
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • Options
    SrAtechieSrAtechie Member Posts: 150 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I graduated from the UoP in 2002 and it actually opened the IT door for me. Of course there weren't many options back when I was looking to finish school and being military with the schedule I had meant I wouldn't be able to attend a land campus so I'm a product of my situation. I will admit though that they are getting pushier nowadays. I continue to get calls about their Masters programs even though I've told I odn't know how many of their "advisors" I'm already in a Masters program so there is truth to that. I think Larry hit it on the head though. They didn't have a lot of competition back when I attended but they sure have a lot more to worry about today! :D
    Working on: Linux+, CCNP:Switch