Options

NLB cluster and NIC configuration

PiotrIrPiotrIr Member Posts: 236
I’ve started to be confused (almost desperated) about NLB IP cluster configuration. Could you please help me to find answer for my questions?

I found the best practice it to use Unicast with Multiple Network Adapters and not quite sure how to configure network adapters. There is a lot of information how to set up NLB cluster and almost nothing how to set up NIC settings. This cluster will be two nodes IIS cluster.

My case is probably more complicated than usually because:
• I have to provide full redundancy for NICs and switches so I’m going to use two switches and as many NICs as necessary
• IIS wwwroot folder will be placed on network shared folder and cluster nodes will be in Domain.

I was going to use 6 NICs to achieve my goals but I’m not quite sure it does any sense.
Let say that domain IP addressing is 192.168.1.0/24.
NIC1, NIC2 – NIC Team for domain and shared storage communication IP 192.168.1.101
NIC3,NIC4 – Public cluster IP 172.16.1.100/24
NIC5 – HeartBeat connected to first switch IP 10.10.10.1/24 - connected using cros over cable
NIC6 – HeartBeat connected to second switch IP 10.10.20.1/24 - connected using cros over cable
But today I think it is quite complicated and probably unnecessary. I’m even not sure it will work!!!

Any advice???????

I’m also looking for NIC settings, what should be disabled, enabled on each NIC adapter.
Many thanks for your help.

Comments

• Options
    PiotrIrPiotrIr Member Posts: 236
    Just quick idea.

Can I connect one node to one switch and second to second? Does it make sense? Any issues with NLB and servers connected to two different switches?

In this case I can use only two NICs in Unicast node. When one switch fail or one NIC will be down cluster should switch to another one. Does it make sense?