Options

Best "free" anti-malware software

jmanrtajmanrta Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

this is probably redundant but what would you all recommend as far as "free" anti-spy/adware software? Most of the time I use Windows Defender but I am not sure how effective that really is.

Any recommendations would be welcomed.

Comments

• Options
    Phliplip112Phliplip112 Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I like spybot S&D
  • Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Defender is perfectly fine. It is nothing more than a re-badged GIANT anti-spyware app that Microsoft bought a few years back. GIANT was one of the best available.
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    That is a tough question to answer. The reason why I say that, is because I use a number of different programs, each one with detection capabilities the others don't have.

I like a lot of them really.

Ad-aware
    Spybot
    Super Antispyware
    A squared
    Ewido (now avg)

I compliment these with a variety of tools, registry hacks and specific malware removal fixes.

One tool that really comes in handy for me is Ultimate boot CD for Windows.
  • Options
    jmanrtajmanrta Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    One tool that really comes in handy for me is Ultimate boot CD for Windows.

if I were to make a UBCD in Windows XP, you don't happen to know if it would boot on a machine running 2000?
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    malware bytes is pretty awesome. icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    jmanrta wrote:
    if I were to make a UBCD in Windows XP, you don't happen to know if it would boot on a machine running 2000?

It boots off the CD, so OS you have installed isn't relevant. However, some of the functionality of the tools might vary depending on what OS you're working on.
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Created an UBCD for server 2003 with all of the necessary SCSI drivers slipstreamed and it has saved the day a time or two when a server has died.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    AndretiiAndretii Member Posts: 210
    If you dont go to the pron websites you wont need one.
    lol

Who am I kidding!
    The internet is for pron icon_tongue.gif
    XBL: Andretii

"I have 16 Millions different ways of pinging myself. Sounded kind of dirty but that's not how I meant it." J. Conrad

Working on:
    VCP4 » 0%
    LPIC-1 » 0%
  • Options
    averyjasaveryjas Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    +1 for malware bytes. It saved my bacon the other day with an admin's laptop that was completely hosed with malware.
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    averyjas wrote:
    +1 for malware bytes. It saved my bacon the other day with an admin's laptop that was completely hosed with malware.

I suggest malware-bytes as well, this in conjunction with ComboFix seems to take care of the majority of the spyware issues I see crop up (mostly Win Antivirus type stuff lately).
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    I use Super Antispyware and Malwarebyete's AntiMalware
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    Super Anti and Malware bytes are the best scanners, without a doubt. I use MS Security Essentials - actually I have the beta of Forefront Endpoint 2010 running right now. It has saved me from having to use Super or Malware bytes!
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Sites like bleepingcomputer.com have definitely helped me out when I was in a pinch. I didn't necessarily upload my files for them, but I was able to go through their methodology to find what I was looking for and kill the malware...Malwarebytes and Super Anti are definitely "the bestest." (To quote a help desk colleague... :D ).

BTW, I think the guy that brought this thread back to life is a spam artist...both of his sole posts mention his product....and he just created his TE account.
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    MBAM and MSE(Microsoft Security Essentials) will do you pretty well. In addition I suggest Threatfire for behavior based threat detection and removal, and Avast as your traditional AntiVirus.
  • Options
    krusty83ukkrusty83uk Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Andretii wrote: »
    If you dont go to the pron websites you wont need one.
    lol

Who am I kidding!
    The internet is for pron icon_tongue.gif

You forgot to add certification material ha
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Asa for me I prefer Spybot S+D and Malware Bytes
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Malware bytes, hands down.
    jmanrta wrote: »

That is the beauty of a boot disk, they will boot on any system. They don't access the HDD so it doesn't matter what is running on it. I've seen XP machines in 98 and vista/7 machines on XP with no issue.

Edit: You do run into some limitations. For insance, windows 98 doesn't support NTFS. So while I can boot up into 98, I can't even see that there is a hard drive. You could also potentially run into other compatibility issues like that. A windows 95 boot disk likely wouldn't know what to do with a modern computers vast amounts of CPU and RAM and could error out.

XP boot disk on a 2000 machine probably wouldn't have any major issues.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Malwarebytes and spybot.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    subl1m1nalsubl1m1nal Member Posts: 176
    Best thing to do is load up a windows disk, reformat, and reinstall.

But, sometimes I prefer to attempt to remove because the PC reinstall would be too tough.

I like the following in this order:

System Restore
    Malwarebytes
    ComboFix
    UBCD4win + SuperAntiSpyware

I also like spybot, but it takes a long time to scan. I've also heard good things about Microsofts Malware Removal tool (gets updated via windows update periodically).
    Currently Working On: 70-643 - Configuring Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure

Plans for 2010: MCITP:EA and CCNA
    70-648 - Done
    70-643 - In progress
    70-647 - Still on my list
    70-680 - Still on my list

www.coantech.com
    www.thecoans.net
    www.facebook.com/tylercoan
    www.twitter.com/tylercoan
    www.linkedin.com/users/tylercoan
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Windows 7 Ultimate with User Account Control Enabled + Working with a normal user account.
    +
    Avast
    +
    Comodo Firewall with Defense+ enabled "it is annoying but it works!"
    +
    FireFox + NoScript+ Adblock Plus.

I just ran Spy Bot and it found 0 threats. "I ran it some months back and used the "immunize" option.

There was a thread about not needing an Anti-virus with windows 7 but I could not find it.