Options

Can this be done?

SqubaSquba Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello Everyone,

I've been sleuthing through these forums for a while now and this is my first post! (Hurray!)

It's time to buckle down and get these done so im wondering: can this test and 291 be done by the end of the year? I have the MS Press books and I actually went through some classes for my MCSA but I went through a couple of job transitions so i didnt study at all during those times.

But times are a changing, so I'm super serious in having these done soon. But is this quite a goal to accomplish? I know these are tough but i have a ton of time on my hands. I work 4 10's and even have time to study on one of my work days since im by myself. I have 2 computers at home, but im wondering if thats enough for labs? Should i scavenge up another test box? or 2?

I wanna take 70-290 in 2 weeks but im worried It wont be enough time.

Your thoughts and commets are welcome!

-Thanks!
Gamertag- Squba

Comments

• Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yeah anything is possible. but dont rush your studies - make sure you get as much info out of them as you can.

Btw even if you had one machine you can use virtual machines (use vmware etc) to setup multiple machines.

Ps dont take the 291 lightly - it can be quite a handful!

Good luck!
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
    a more realistic Goal is 290 by year end and 291 by valentines day, 291 is a beast, I think its the most important test in this series followed by 294 and if you cut corners on it you really **** yourself. Plus the holidays are coming and they are always hectic.
  • Options
    SqubaSquba Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Heh yea, I know its tough. I remember this guy at school took it like 3 times and failed....So yea i know it can be challenging. Hmmm I'll have to look into using Virtual machines. Is there a site that descrbies it in detail?

I know what vmachines are but ill probably need info in setting them up and what not. I'm not trying to rush, i just would like to get these out of the way. I've slacked wayyy to much and im done with that.

I'll just have to set a date and if im not ready ill push it back a week or so.
    Gamertag- Squba
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Take a look at virtualbox.org and vmware.com as they both have virtualization software available. It really helps for setting up a lab with limited resources available. I got by with 1 computer using virtualbox to set up 4-6 servers for my MCSE. As for the amount of time it takes you that's different for everyone. It depends upon your experience and your study habits. I had an average of about a month between every test but that is a pretty strict pace to push yourself at. Best thing to do is just make sure that when you walk in that you know your material. If you don't then any of these tests could eat you alive. Setting a date definitely helps push you and keep your focus though. That's usually what did it for me as I would get pretty serious on studying the week of the test. I normally had my tests on Fridays. It really threw me off when I did one on a Tuesday. :)
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    It really depends on your background.

Personally I found 290 to be easier than 270 and took a month for each.

However I took two months for 291, although I passed i would have rather spent more time studying if I knew then how evil it was.

I would plan to do 290 by the end of the year however both is not out of the question aslong as you have good experience and plenty of time on your hands!

Best of luck!
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Options
    amp2030amp2030 Member Posts: 253
    Squba wrote:
    Hello Everyone,

I've been sleuthing through these forums for a while now and this is my first post! (Hurray!)

It's time to buckle down and get these done so im wondering: can this test and 291 be done by the end of the year? I have the MS Press books and I actually went through some classes for my MCSA but I went through a couple of job transitions so i didnt study at all during those times.

But times are a changing, so I'm super serious in having these done soon. But is this quite a goal to accomplish? I know these are tough but i have a ton of time on my hands. I work 4 10's and even have time to study on one of my work days since im by myself. I have 2 computers at home, but im wondering if thats enough for labs? Should i scavenge up another test box? or 2?

I wanna take 70-290 in 2 weeks but im worried It wont be enough time.

Your thoughts and commets are welcome!

-Thanks!

I am aiming for something similar, however I will not stress out if it can't be done. I would like to take 290 late next week (or early the week after that) and then 291 hopefully by the end of the year. For this though, I am studying full time.

My setup for 290 consists of VMWARE with two virtual servers and one virtual client, and as study material MS Press book and CBT Nuggets. So far I find the MS Press book kind of lacking, though I liked their 270 and 620 books, but I feel the Nuggets complement it nicely. I may pick up some extra practice exams next week, though I don't think it necessary, so far the MS Press questions were very similar to actual exams (for 270 and 620).

From the comments i read here, 290 seems to be 270 on steroids, some even say it's easier, but everybody warns about 291. Still, MS Second Shot vouchers expire at the end of this year, and I don't know if they'll offer them again, so I'll at least give 291 a shot by then.

Good luck in your studies!