Options

Where to start?

640-801640-801 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello EveryOne Here

I am computer/network tech. with more than four years experience in windows platform, eventhough I am not fully MCSA/MCSE I am MCP, A+, Network+

I would like to study Cisco networkings, probably the entry level of it, I have old CBTNuggets videos by Emillo Valdez, i found it difficult to understand and I'm not able to enroll a college, I am also not talking about how to pass the exam at this moment, All I need is to study for my own, so what options are there for me??

Is there any visual lab cd (accorging to a friend) that can help for experimenting with not having any hardware?

All your suggestiions, guidence are well appreciated
icon_twisted.gificon_redface.gificon_confused.gif
CCENT in progress

Comments

• Options
    TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    Packet tracer does a pretty good job at visualizing equipment while you set up them up. Just message me if you want to find out more.
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Some options without hardware are:

Boson router simulator: Kind of buggy, but it'll give you the basics, and simulate cisco gear. Not bad to get acquainted with the gear. Costs a bit...

Dynamips/Dynagen/GNS3- Emulates Cisco routers..using actual code. Free. Outstanding stuff, a bit touchy to get it setup (Dynagen, at least), but once you do it's well worth it. The downside is you need to have access to IOS images through a CCO account, or your employer, etc.

Even though you're not talking about studying for an exam, I highly recommend the Cisco press CCNA books. Finally, the cisco site has a ton of resources available, but I would hit up the CCNA books first.
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    you really need to find a way to snag a router or two to understand any of it.

Snag a couple 2501 routers from ebay and a couple old computers, the Cisco press book will also help you on your way.

Learnkey and TestOut also make good training materials. But first master subnetting. There are any number of great subnetting resources out there just google it.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    640-801640-801 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for your sincere advices, thoughts and encouragements.

In fact your posts in this site are always helpfull.

Beisde the Sybex CCNA by Todd Lammle book, what other books do I need? and is it payable to register cisco site, in order to get access to the available resources there?

I borrowed from a friend 1700 series switch, and 2x2500 series but not all of them have cables so I just use as normal switch when experimenting some of my microsoft network topics.
    CCENT in progress
  • Options
    nmqtabtnmqtabt Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey, I just about your seek in progress and may be this will help you understand more about it if you are skeptical on stuff to study and grab them. Good luck.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=40024

http://www.ciscokits.com/cisco-dual-2501-1900-switch-ccna-kit/
    Don't fear to climb to a position, you will get there one day. Do your best...