What are the backup methods?

ghaoufghaouf Inactive Imported Users Posts: 317
What are the backup methods and differences between differential and incremental backups?
I am taking the OS exam on tuesday I already passed the core last month with a 1054 and hopefully i will get 1300 on the OS hopefully
if some body could give me the difference between all the backup methods that would be great
thank you
icon_cool.gificon_sad.gif

this forum is GREAT icon_exclaim.gif

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Here's a link to the Windows 2000 Product Documentation listing and explaining the backup types.

www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/professional/help/types_of_backup.htm
  • KarestaKaresta Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The difference between a differential, and an incremental backup? Okay, here goes. Differential backups are backups that backup everything since the last full backup that was performed. If new files are created, then it backs up those files. It only backs up files that have the bit set to one, which is any file that has been modified or introduced to the system since the last full backup. The bit is then cleared, and it won't be copied again.
    An incremental backup backs everything up in increments. Lets say that you have Tuesday's backup, and you change the file on Wednesday. With an incremental backup, only what was changed in the file is backed-up on the tape. So, if you change a file five times, in five days, you'll need all five tapes from the days that you changed the file.
    With a differential backup, you only need the full backup and the two most recent differential backup tape that you have used.
    With an incremental backup, you need the full backup, and every incremental backup since the last full backup (that's a lot of damn tapes!).
    To be honest I didn't felt like typing it all out ;) so I posted the link which describes them and shows their differences very well.
    Karesta wrote:
    With a differential backup, you only need the full backup and the two most recent differential backup tape that you have used.

you only need the full backup and the last differential backup tape that you have created... with this last tape you will be able to restore everything that has changed since the last full backup.
    I noticed the same question has been answered a while ago:

www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=284

Maybe we should do a search first icon_wink.gif
  • KarestaKaresta Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sorry about that small mistake, everyone makes them sometimes. Thanx for noting it Webmaster