Options

Boson sim v. New yet unreleased Cisco sim.

mjonesmjones Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am debating on whether to wait for the new Cisco CCNA sim due out in Jan of 09 or purchase the Boson sim.
I downloaded the free demo from Boson and I am already having problems with the commands not working.
I would hate to buy and download the real thing and have the same difficulties. Also the Cisco Sim has a cheaper price.

What do you guys think?

Will the new Cisco sim be enough to pass the CCENT and CCNA exams or does Boson reign as the "King" of simulators?

Can I get feedback from those who have the Boson sim for CCENT/CCNA icon_sad.gif

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    mjones wrote:
    I downloaded the free demo from Boson and I am already having problems with the commands not working.
    I would hate to buy and download the real thing and have the same difficulties. Also the Cisco Sim has a cheaper price.
    It is a simulator. It won't have every single command implemented. If you want that then you need to use dynamips along with its questionable legality regarding IOS images.
  • Options
    IgloodudeIgloodude Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've just fired up the Boson CCNA NetSim 7.0 Network Designer and it keeps corrupting the ethernet/serial connections between the devices (adding some, deleting others) and the last time I tried to load an existing topology it told me the file was corrupted and dumped me out.

I've just raised a ticket to their tech support, I'll let you know how it goes.
    Next up: MS Server 2008 Network Infrastructure (70-642), CCNA (640-816)
  • Options
    nevolvednevolved Member Posts: 131
    You mean PacketTracer?
  • Options
    nevolved wrote:
    You mean PacketTracer?
    No. That is for the Network Academy only. They're releasing a sim for the general public as well which you can buy. Cisco Press link.
  • Options
    TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    From what I'm told, PacketTracer is enough to pass CCNA. You can get labs for it from Cisco press books from Net Academy.

I'm not sure why they are selling that CCNA network sim really, maybe they'll supply labs for you to do.
  • Options
    Talic wrote:
    From what I'm told, PacketTracer is enough to pass CCNA. You can get labs for it from Cisco press books from Net Academy.

I'm not sure why they are selling that CCNA network sim really, maybe they'll supply labs for you to do.
    You can't get PacketTracer from the books though. Thats why they're selling this new thing.
  • Options
    IgloodudeIgloodude Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Igloodude wrote:
    I've just fired up the Boson CCNA NetSim 7.0 Network Designer and it keeps corrupting the ethernet/serial connections between the devices (adding some, deleting others) and the last time I tried to load an existing topology it told me the file was corrupted and dumped me out.

I've just raised a ticket to their tech support, I'll let you know how it goes.

24hrs after raising the ticket, I got a response "Are you using any 2600 series routers?" and 20min later I responded with what routers I was using (none of them 2600). A few minutes ago I got a second response "Please click on "Help" -> "About". What version does this window display?" and I just responded that yesterday afternoon I uninstalled it from my Vista PC and installed it on my XP Pro PC, where it is not having the same corruption issue (running v7.12) and to close the trouble ticket as "issue unresolved, customer found workaround". icon_rolleyes.gif
    Next up: MS Server 2008 Network Infrastructure (70-642), CCNA (640-816)