itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
hey CCNP gurus!

what is the difference between and 3550 cat with EMI vs SMI

i have no clue all I know is the SMI is like 200.00 dollars cheaper on ebay
thanks

Comments

• Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I know I am not a CCNP I am far from it but my boss finally said to get a cisco switch and said to shop around. I went with a 3550 EMI instead of the SMI cause it does layer3 routing. I am sure you know but the EMI is suppose to be the enterprise IOS with more features and what not. Thats all I know on that. Hope it helps.

EMI has support for routing protocols OSPF, EIGRP, ISIS & BGP - whereas the SMI only supports RIP & Static routes. The EMI image also supports Multicast routing, the SMI only support IGMP snooping so requires an external router to forward multicast.
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    kryollakryolla Member Posts: 785
    do you have access to EMI IOS. It is just an IOS upgrade for the 3550.
    Studying for CCIE and drinking Home Brew
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    kryolla wrote:
    do you have access to EMI IOS. It is just an IOS upgrade for the 3550.
    Cisco do note that they track downloads of the EMI versions. It is just a software upgrade though. Install the EMI version of IOS and thats it.
  • Options
    itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    thanks a lot about the information it could save me 200.00 bucks and for me right now
    that is a small fortune ;)awesome thanks ;)
  • Options
    PlazmaPlazma Member Posts: 503
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps646/prod_qas09186a00800913d3.html

Q. Can I enable static IP routing using the SMI?
    A. Yes, there is support for basic IP unicast routing via Static Routes and Routing Information Protocol (RIP) Versions 1 and 2 using the SMI. The EMI provides advanced IP unicast and multicast routing. These advanced routing protocols are Open Shortest Path First (OSPF), Interior Gateway Routing Protocol (IGRP), Enhanced Interior Gateway Routing Protocol (EIGRP), Border Gateway Protocol Version 4 (BGPv4), Protocol Independent Multicast (PIM), and PBR.

The SMI image limits your ip routing capabilities by only supporting RIPv1/2 and static routes. The physical hardware is the same for the most part..the EMI image will work on a 3550 SMI.
    CCIE - COMPLETED!