Options

Do you think this is a joke? Salary £25k - £28k........

malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
I seen this job on a job board and it made me laugh at certain parts, I particularly like the line must be CCIE certified (or preferably higher)

Our client is taking the market by storm, as the on-demand ecommerce solution for leading retailers. Already working with the likes of (list of high street stores) they are rapidly developing a client portfolio that is second to none. Their continued success means they are now looking to recruit a Cisco Network Engineer to join their team.

This is the ideal opportunity to develop your Cisco experience with a leading edge and pioneering company. Not only does this role offer the chance to work in their impressive converted barn, but also the opportunity to join a friendly team of committed people with real expertise in their field and a passion for what they do.

As a Cisco Network Engineer you will work as part of a team to deliver infrastructure projects and systems support. Your role will involve contributing to the design, delivery and maintenance of their e-commerce application-hosting platform.

Your role will involve the installation and configuration of switches, routers and firewalls, primarily from Cisco; with a focus on providing performance, resilience and security. There will also be opportunity to work on tuning server network and OS configurations.

Your day to day tasks will include setting up and trouble shooting VPNs, supporting access control changes as required, analysing system performance and implementing PCI standards. Some travel to client sites will be required.

To succeed as the Cisco Network Engineer you will have proven experience working with Cisco networks, and preferably some Linux experience. You must also be CCIE certified (or preferably higher).

Comments

• Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    lol...that is EPIC FAIL!!!

even as a CCNA, that demands more than that...
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Gotta be a joke. Based on the job description, it looks like someone made a big typo and meant to put "CCNA (or preferably higher).

I saw one around here that required a CCNP + 6 years experience at a minimum...starting salary was $26k/yr..
  • Options
    malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    BradleyHU wrote:
    even as a CCNA, that demands more than that...

yeah but I think you're forgetting that you have the privelege of working in a.......................... converted barn icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    jmanrtajmanrta Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I saw one around here that required a CCNP + 6 years experience at a minimum...starting salary was $26k/yr..

you can make more than that working at a call center.. icon_eek.gif
  • Options
    The said thing is it also required a clearance, so I expected it to pay a lot more. If it was only about 50k more per year I'd consider it ;)

I love job postings.."must have 8 years experience, 4 years with linux at a minimum, 4 years in a cisco environment, must have SAN experience, must be able to fully configure firewalls from a variety of vendors, have experience with military crypto, be able to provide desktop troubleshooting skills on Windows 95, 98, 2000, Me, XP, and Vista. CCNP and MCSE preferred..........$60k/yr".......

Makes me question how much pull my CCNP will really have once it's done. These job postings want you to be superman.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Looking at want-ads like these always depresses me. And people say dumpers don't hurt the rest of us. . . icon_rolleyes.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    defo a typo..... its got to be....

ive log since stopped worring about the list in job roles.... i look at the title the core elements and then if im interested ill ask for a job specification (may need to send my cv to get it) and then look at that... its usually more relvant that way.....

most employers will load adverts with a list of everything they want.. it doesnt mean they expect to get it all....... normally in interviews they will question you on these areas but are happy with little or no knowledge as long as your core strengths covers what they want...
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    I saw a local posting about 4 months back that required 6yrs of experience, an MCSE and a CCIE. Starting pay was $15 an hour. roflmao. I almost fell over.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hahah! probably a copy and paste job!

I like the part about the converted barn!! :D
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    malcybood wrote:
    yeah but I think you're forgetting that you have the privelege of working in a.......................... converted barn icon_lol.gif

I didn't see that the first time. As if the astonishing wages (CCIE!?) weren't enough, the chance to work in an old horse shed must seal the deal..... icon_rolleyes.gif
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    nel wrote:
    I like the part about the converted barn!! :D

Is the guy who placed this ad named Mike by any chance? Just curious...

That seems like a good salary for maintaining Mike's lab and cats...
  • Options
    MCPWannabeMCPWannabe Member Posts: 194
    Classic. I got a good laugh out of this ad.
    I've escaped call centers and so can you! Certification Trail and mean pay job offers for me: A+ == $14, Net+==$16, MCSA==$20-$22, MCAD==$25-$30, MCSD -- $40, MCT(Development), MCITP Business Intelligence, MCPD Enterprise Applications Developer -- $700 a Day
  • Options
    alundraalundra Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hi guys, im new to network and never work in a network field before and im wondering how hard it is in installing cables in a network, there a job posted in my local area listed $7 for a Network Infrastructure Installation position. is this $7 justify for work and time that you spending in installing those cables? or its a ripoff?
    heres the job description:
    Network Infrastructure Installation
    Cabling Concepts, Inc. of Edmond, Oklahoma is looking for a smart go getter to assist in the installation of Data/Phone networks as well as Audio/Video infrastructure. We build networks from the ground up. We also install Whole House Audio/Video and theatres.

If you are a clean cut nice guy or girl that wants to install networks from the ground up and be a part of one of the fastest growing industries in the world contact us today.

Our position that is open is INSTALLER TRAINEE Paying $7.75

If you have more experience than a INSTALLER TRAINEE, call us anyway!!!!!!
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    alundra wrote:
    hi guys, im new to network and never work in a network field before and im wondering how hard it is in installing cables in a network, there a job posted in my local area listed $7 for a Network Infrastructure Installation position. is this $7 justify for work and time that you spending in installing those cables? or its a ripoff?
    heres the job description:
    Network Infrastructure Installation
    Cabling Concepts, Inc. of Edmond, Oklahoma is looking for a smart go getter to assist in the installation of Data/Phone networks as well as Audio/Video infrastructure. We build networks from the ground up. We also install Whole House Audio/Video and theatres.

If you are a clean cut nice guy or girl that wants to install networks from the ground up and be a part of one of the fastest growing industries in the world contact us today.

Our position that is open is INSTALLER TRAINEE Paying $7.75

If you have more experience than a INSTALLER TRAINEE, call us anyway!!!!!!

$7hr sounds about right for a trainee (depending on the location).

Running cable sucks though IMO. I'm gald I don't have to mess with that anymore. Good place to start though if there is opportunity to move up into a more technical role within the company. I wouldn't want to spend my whole career doing cables, but some people like it and make some good money running fiber.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Running cable sucks though IMO. I'm gald I don't have to mess with that anymore. Good place to start though if there is opportunity to move up into a more technical role within the company. I wouldn't want to spend my whole career doing cables, but some people like it and make some good money running fiber.

+1..some people love it, I am not one of them. There is some very good money when you get really good, however. If you want to break into networking, I'd give it a shot, and see if you enjoy it. If not, you at least have some networking experience to move into other areas. That being said, for a trainee that's not too terrible, depending on the area. $7/hr in california vs. $7/hr in missouri is a big difference.
  • Options
    alundraalundra Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks guys, i might give it a try :)
  • Options
    Devin McCloudDevin McCloud Member Posts: 133
    I have seen several jobs in my area paying $12 for a MCSE with 2-3 years experience. Here they don't last long either. People are willing to take that, even with a Microsoft Office here. The sad part is that companies in my town are charging $100 minimum for tech support for business's and Best Buy is charging $300 to install anti-virus on your computer with geek squad! The company charging $100 for online support, I applied for them and they asked what I was looking for, for a wage, I said 10-12 an hour and the guy nearly had a heart attack! He told me they could barely make ends meet charging $100 an hour. 95 % of their service was on the phone, they claimed they couldn't afford to go to the clients work site because of the cost of gas and vehicle expenses ,so they rarely left the office!
    The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either.