Options

Appletalk and Novell questions on the exam?

Devin McCloudDevin McCloud Member Posts: 133
Were there a lot of appletalk and Novell questions on the test? I'm just wondering how deep I should study these topics. Specificly, do I need to be able to tell the difference between Appletalk and Novell IP address schemes and identify their IP addresses structures.
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either.

Comments

• Options
    mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    When I took it in 2006, I did not get any questions either, but I knew about them from experience by working in the field with various business as a consultant. The law firms we supported worked with Novell, the architecture firms used Appletalk. Good to know about both anyways.
  • Options
    Ok thanks, cbt Nuggets goes into great detail. I was not sure if it was over kill or actual must have knowledge. I plan on working with my own seven rack servers which are Windows 2003/xp pro and that is the point of my certs. I hope to never run Apple or Novell anything ever.
    The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    ..... I hope to never run Apple or Novell anything ever.

Nice icon_rolleyes.gif

It's not that there is a lot of it with the clients we deal with but we do have some who have chosen to stay with Novell. It doesn't hurt to be aware of how other networks function as you'll be surprised at the troubleshooting skills one develops by thinking outside of your typical MS network.

Keep yourself open for anything new and old that you have an opportunity to learn.....even if it is to learn you wouldn't recommend it to a client.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The old Apple stuff is still used in schools (K-12) that haven't updgraded yet. The newer Mac/Apples all use TCP/IP.

Novell the company has moved on to the Linux world with Novell Suse. I guess there are some diehards that still run Netware, but it's not a skill that's much in demand anymore.

The best stuff to know outside the Windows world is Cisco, and Unix/Linux.

Who knows though? You might find yourself undoing IPX commands on a router that are no longer needed. No harm in knowing what it is.
  • Options
    ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    I took this exam this year and was heavely hit on the Apple Novell side.

Cant go into it to much so thats about all i think i can release for ya.
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    NT4, Apple, Apple Talk, Novell, 10base... it was ugly.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    Yeah I was surprised at the number on question I got today about Novel and Apple. I would guess at least 13. I actually know someone who gets paid $42,000 a year to run Novell network with no other certs except A+. So Novell networks are out there. I saw a job in my home town for an Apple Certified technician a few weeks ago paying $12 an hour. It was a full year round job working in a local high school. Required 3 years of experience on Mac's. So sad....I have never seen an advertisement or talk about mac certification anywhere.
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The exam will probably drop most of that stuff the next time around

I got the cert over 4 years ago and it sounds like they haven't changed it much since.

I think that understanding the history of networking is important, as it gives you a good foundation to build on.

But with 2009 just around the corner, testing things like Appletalk and IPX is probably taking it too far.

I still support DLC at work, so they can keep that in the test

:)

Of course it's a lifetime cert, so I guess I don't need to worry about it.
  • Options
    TravR1TravR1 Member Posts: 332
    Daniel333 wrote:
    NT4, Apple, Apple Talk, Novell, 10base... it was ugly.

+1

Definitely know the material. Sorry... but it's for your own good! :D
    Austin Community College, certificate of completion: C++ Programming.
    Sophomore - Computer Science, Mathematics
  • Options
    mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Regardless of whether the information is current or not, it is still useful because the computer industry as a I.T. Professional will place you in situations where you have no choice but to be in a position where the knowledge that you have at your disposal really is more power to you. Read and be happy because by studying, you are more knowledgeable and versatile than your peers. ;)