Options

DNS

TonyDuffyTonyDuffy Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
SH*T.

Just came across DNS in my class tonight , now i know DNS , name to numbers all of that stuff but they go right into it , can anyone help me on this

Tony x
Keep Studying.

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Is this in a Cisco class or did you post in the wrong forum? I only ask because DNS isn't a big Cisco subject...

Anyway, you're going to need to be more specific with what you need help with. There's entire books dedicated to DNS. No one is going to be able to simply lay it all out for you in a post.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    dynamik wrote:
    Is this in a Cisco class or did you post in the wrong forum? I only ask because DNS isn't a big Cisco subject...
    Not true! Cisco people curse DNS every time they do a typo until they disable lookups ;)

Read RFC1034 and RFC 1035 if you want to find out more about DNS.
  • Options
    Ah yes, no ip domain-lookup was one of the first commands I learned icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    Yeah dude , this is the frist time it's being covered in CCNA but i did not realise how much detail it went to , it was easy in my A+ and Net + , but this just goes into so much detail , sorry i can't be more specific , because i don't have a clue about it.

Tony x
    Keep Studying.
  • Options
    kryollakryolla Member Posts: 785
    Are you talking about the different records that gets propagated such as web site and mail server records?Or the tree structure for DNS such . is the root DNS server then you have .com .gov, etc DNS servers and it branches from there.
    Studying for CCIE and drinking Home Brew
  • Options
    gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Do you have any specific questions we can help you out with?
  • Options
    tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    TonyDuffy wrote:
    SH*T.

Just came across DNS in my class tonight , now i know DNS , name to numbers all of that stuff but they go right into it , can anyone help me on this

Tony x

TonyDuffy,

Is the overall Domain Name System one of the things you're confused with?
  • Options
    Yeah , it's look the root with .gov .uk .com , etc , then underneath that and the isp providing it.

Thing like that
    Keep Studying.
  • Options
    If you need help with the basics, start with Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_Name_System

Move on to the RFCs that Tiersten posted once you want to get into the nitty-gritty material.
  • Options
    ConstantlyLearningConstantlyLearning Member Posts: 445
    dynamik wrote:
    Ah yes, no ip domain-lookup was one of the first commands I learned icon_lol.gif

That and

line con 0
    logging sync

are my two best friends.

:)
    "There are 3 types of people in this world, those who can count and those who can't"