Options

LABS....

TechBoy22TechBoy22 Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey all, I start my Net+ class today and I was wondering.... Are there any free virtual type of labs online that will help me understand the hands on aspect? I ask this because my class is only 2 days a week for 6 weeks. I'd like to get all that I can out of it so I can pass my exam when I book it.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Michael

Dreams are made up of small ideas with BIG pictures. Focus is the key that unlocks the door to success.

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Set up your own lab. Seems to be what has worked for many people here.

Get some older cheap-free hardware and get going.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    TravR1TravR1 Member Posts: 332
    I bought the Network+ book used with no labs at all and passed the test with lots of room for error. Just make sure you understand all the concepts. Go work for an ISP in technical support, that will help a lot too - get you exposed to all the different networking devices and how they work together.
    Austin Community College, certificate of completion: C++ Programming.
    Sophomore - Computer Science, Mathematics
  • Options
    LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    Network+ is vendor neutral, a lab wouldn't hurt, but most everyone takes and passes it without having to lab it.
  • Options
    TechBoy22TechBoy22 Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    WHat about experience for a job? THis certification is my way out of the airport that I currently am working at. I just want to be prepared not only for the test but with hands on as well. even if its through a simulator. Thanks for the reply by the way.
    Michael

Dreams are made up of small ideas with BIG pictures. Focus is the key that unlocks the door to success.
  • Options
    mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Should be fine without a simulator. If you're typing this post, then you are using a NOS (Network OS). That in itself is the lab. Since Network+ is more of a foundational certification, I think that more would be learned by reading entirely through a Network+ study guide and then picking up a different Network+ study guide from a different author/publisher to brush up on topics that might not have sunk into the brain. Each author explains the topics different. Something that one author may not have described properly, might be more comprehensible from a different author.
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    The 2005 Net+ exam includes NT4, Windows 2000, Apple, Novell and Linux on the exam. When I did it, I snagged an old G3 Mac from a friend and a couple old thrift store quality machines.

I grabbed a "for dummies" book for each of the adove (and an old CCNA one) and worked through each one. ordered a bunch of random wires and cards from ebay as well so that I could physically see what they were talking about. Really wasn't as expensive as it sounds, most of this stuff the shipping was more than the items.

Now the new 2009 exam it supposed to have dumped a lot of the OS stuff and focused more on the technologies, so it's much more memorization. So there isn't any labs to speak of. Still a good idea to goto the store or order some of these wires and what not so you can see them in person.

If you are not already to vested, I would recommend you start your journey with a more practical cert like the CCENT. But that's just from my experience.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    armoryarmory Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You can download the Testout trial for 7 days. It has labs for troubleshooting (running commands) and also for using the different operating systems. This software is top-notch.
  • Options
    TravR1TravR1 Member Posts: 332
    If you work on any computer or have a computer at home, you have most of the lab you'll ever need. You can open up cprompt and run the commands they'll teach you like ipconfig/netstat/ping ect ... the rest is memorizing lenghts of cable and data through put... lots of pictures should be provided in the book.

If you want Network+ the books I like are

Network+ McGraw-Hill Osborne
    Network+ In debth 2005
    And the Mike Myers Passport book for final reviews, which I found very helpful and worthwhile.
    Austin Community College, certificate of completion: C++ Programming.
    Sophomore - Computer Science, Mathematics