Options

2610 Question

kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
Hello all, I haven't been on here in a couple years, but I recently got the itch to learn some more in-depth networking and Cisco seemed to be a good place to start.

Anyway, my actual question, would a 2610 be useful to me for a home lab? I'm trying to put something together to practice on that's not too expensive, but might still have some use to me in CCNP level topics should I decide to go there. So far all I have is a purchased 3550 that has not arrived yet. (I know a 3550 is overkill for CCNA, but at $220, it seemed like a decent deal.)

The reason I ask specifically about the 2610 is that a local guy has a few and being in Alaska it is expensive to ship things up, so I prefer to buy local. Assuming it wouldn't be a bad item to have, what would be a reasonable price? He's asking $125, which for what I can tell is quite high, but I can probably talk him down.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Regards,
Kale

Comments

• Options
    kevin31kevin31 Member Posts: 154
    Hi

2610's are good try and get good level of IOS on them (above 12 I reckon). I have 3 2610's with 2X 2950's for my lab everything you need for CCNA studies!

What switches you got or getting?

Kev
    LAB - 4 X 2651XM's 1 X 2620 3 X 2950 1 X 2509 AS 1 X 3550
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Do the 2610s come with any WICs and/or NMs? What about memory and IOS version? All of those are going to affect the price.
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    It depends. Check ebay for prices. But generally yes, the amount of RAM/Flash, IOS and installed NM's or WIC's will affect the unit price.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I sent an email to the seller to see what cards they have, but unless they have some particularly useful cards I don't think I'm going to buy them. I just picked up two 2610s and a 2514 for $30 total (how could I go wrong?), so as far as routers that don't support the latest IOS go I think I'm set.

The 2610s that I bought each have one card marked "wic 1dsu 56k". After searching online it seems that I can connect those two together using a modified cat5 cable. So, at least I can play around with routing.

In response to Kevin, assuming I get that 3550 (first time ebay buyer, so hopefully it will work out) I'll have one pretty decent switch. I want to get a couple of 2950s and a router that can run the 12.4 IOS, I'm looking at a 3640 or a XM 2600 series.

Any suggestions on my lab setup would be welcome and appreciated.

Thanks,
    Kale