Gaining IT Skills

parisokparisok Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
When you work on a large project, that only allows you to work in a very small part of the body of knowledge, how do you get that knowledge and make it stick. I know read and study but many learn by doing or being instructed. I ask this for them as I do not know the answer.

Many companies want you to have the Cert but do not want to train you or in some cases reimburse you for the test. Many of us are lucky enough to have a company that will reimburse the employee but many are getting gun shy as they lose people after they certify.

I had not seen this asked elsewhere so I thought I would pose the question.

Comments

• pennystraderpennystrader Member Posts: 155
    I find that as you mentioned self study is the only way at times if you are on a project that only allows you to touch a "small piece of pie". I find that if you want to understand something try to find out the best practices of the product and try to figure out why they are implement it that way. This will give you a good understanding of a product.

You could also ask to watch someone who is doing a job you are interested and show genuine interest. I have gone to lunch with someone who is doing something I was interested in (OCS 2007) and showed interest and he offered to show me more. I used to pick the brains of some consultants I worked with and got some good information and they offered to show me things because they knew I liked learning and that I respected what they knew. If you took the advice above and read the best practices and understand some of it, you can ask educated questions and they will respect your wanting to understand and that you have taken the time to understand and they don't have to start at the bottom level. This in my opinion is important. If it seems like too much work because you know nothing then they may say no. If you ask some good questions based off what you have read they will realize you know a little about the subject and be more willing to share information.

You are right that hands on always sticks more but if you can't get hands on if you can watch someone who is doing something or read their documentation you can put the pieces of the puzzle together.

The more knowledge one obtains the more there is too accumulate.....

• parisokparisok Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the reply. The big problem is that the Network Operation Centers, Where all of the large part of the pie is done is not located near most of the guys in the field. I know I studied for 6+ months for my Security + but after I was done much of that knowledge went away as I did not use it at all. I feel sorry for many of the people that do the same job as me but do not have a boss at their site that understands the need to study and stay up to date. I buy a lot of old books on subjects that interest me and read a lot of web sites/ blogs. I try to instigate discussions with my counterparts as several people contributing are better than none. It is difficult to stay current on a budget. I am lucky to be able to come in a little early and use most of that time for study. Is there a listing of good sites that have FREE info on certs and practice test that are not one of those braindumps or one that wants a paycheck for info. CISSP is my goal, but the base of knowledge needed is sometimes intimidating. Many of my counterparts tell me that when I get my CISSP, that because it is not required, I will not get compensated. I understand that, as I am doing it for my own gain and to advance either within or else ware. This is a great site and a good source of info wish there were more.
  • LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    You have a great attitude, stay motivated and be willing to learn. The truth is that practically nobody stays with an employer for 20, 30, 40 years anymore. You have to make major education and life decisions with your best interests in mind, not your employer's. Paying for the exam and study materials for something like the CISSP might set you back $1K or more, but if you can apply the knowledge, you could see an incredible return on that investment.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Investing in your education and yourself is always money well spent. In these times it's the best investment you can make for your future.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    JDMurray wrote:
    Investing in your education and yourself is always money well spent. In these times it's the best investment you can make for your future.
    I'll second that. Education, (both an academic degree and certifications,) will go a long, long way in helping you advance your career. That's also true for those who wish to move between industries, as in finding something outside of IT if you should so choose. (Hey, it happens from time to time. icon_lol.gif )

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.