Options

Update on Slowhand's Job Search

SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
We've been seeing a lot of threads lately of people finding work and landing jobs that they like. So, I figured I'd give everyone an update of how my search is going and how my interviews have gone so far:
30224.strip.gif
You have no idea how much I wish this comic didn't hit so close to home. icon_lol.gif

I'm still at it, but it's been an uphill climb. It was bad luck that I lost my job just before the economy took a nose-dive. Hopefully, I'll have better news to report in the coming days/weeks. The same goes for all the rest of you looking for work, or even searching for something better than what you've got. Good luck to us all! :D

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck Slowhand. icon_cool.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Yeah, good luck Slowhand, sure you'll get a good role soon and not end up having to bury a janitor icon_confused.gif Glad to see your sense of humour is still the same!
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    amp2030amp2030 Member Posts: 253
    Good luck mate!!

Wasn't there a certification that covered janitor burials? Shovel+ or something... I don't see it in your acronym soup icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I feel your pain slowhand! I thought I had a job locked for after I graduated, but got the sad news I was no longer considered for it. So now I have pumped out a bunch of resumes to various places and just waiting to hear back. I'm lucky in that my parents know a lot of people and I have been able to pass resumes to those higher on the food chain. As the old saying goes "It's not what you know, but who you know!" Good luck!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    AND "It's not who you know, it's who knows you." :D
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Good luck on the search!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think we've all been there, and it's crappy but it will end. The downs just give you time to get ready to climb again.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sorry to hear about your unemployment, I did not realize your situation. Hopefully you'll land something soon, smart people always do. In the meantime, take advantage of the extra time you have and bang out some nice certifications....and don't forget to take sometime for yourself and do things you enjoy. Doing some things you enjoy will keep you from going insane...
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    And for my 3000th post, I am happy to annouce that I am no longer just a random vagrant anymore. :D I have a job as of last week, working for a video game company. It's been a long time coming, but I think this is going to be a very good thing. They're willing to work with me on classes and scheduling, it's a very laid-back place, and I get to work with an old buddy as one of two sysadmins. Basically, he and I run the show. . . which is both very good and very bad.

In any case, I figured I'd give another update. Yay, I finally have a job! Oh, god. I have to go to work. . . icon_lol.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats man!

A job is one of those necessary evils unfortunately.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    About time slacker!! haha jk congrats slowhand!!
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats bro!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Slowhand wrote:
    I am no longer just a random vagrant anymore.
    Congratulations! icon_thumright.gif

Hey -- that gives you something to be thankful for tomorrow! Plus it's a reason to drink beer! :D
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    mikej412 wrote:
    Plus it's a reason to drink beer! :D

Especially now that you can afford it! icon_lol.gif

Congratulations!
  • Options
    mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations! That's awesome news!!! :D
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Congratulations! Glad to hear you're back in the game. Hope the break wasn't too hard on the pocket book.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    congratulations man!!
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    zen masterzen master Member Posts: 222
    That was quick! I figured with your qualifications you wouldn't last long on the breadline before some lucky company snatched you up.
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    COngrats man!

im really please for you slowhand. well deserved!
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    Congrats! It sounds like your holidays are going to be that much sweeter.

I'll be sure to PM you my Christmas list so you can buy me presents with your extra cash. icon_wink.gif
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • Options
    ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Cool!!! Sounds like it should be a neat place to work. Enjoy the turkey feast! icon_wink.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

amp2030amp2030 Member Posts: 253
    Slowhand wrote:
    And for my 3000th post, I am happy to annouce that I am no longer just a random vagrant anymore. :D I have a job as of last week, working for a video game company. It's been a long time coming, but I think this is going to be a very good thing. They're willing to work with me on classes and scheduling, it's a very laid-back place, and I get to work with an old buddy as one of two sysadmins. Basically, he and I run the show. . . which is both very good and very bad.

In any case, I figured I'd give another update. Yay, I finally have a job! Oh, god. I have to go to work. . . icon_lol.gif

CONGRATS MATE!!! :P Sounds like a fun job. Keep us posted!
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    top result.... nice job too
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    way to not give up slowhand! It pays off to be determined. CONGRATS!
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security