Options

My path to an IT job.

michaelkahlmichaelkahl Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
I graduated from High School back in 1999. I started attending University while working a 3rd shift job at UPS. UPS paid the tuition and I took the classes half asleep. I was about to start my 4th semester when I realized I hated what I was studying, sociology, and couldn't afford books. I decided to take that semester off and do some soul-searching.
Times got even tougher that spring, my Dad couldn't hold employment, I took a second full-time job working at McDonald's as a Manager. So what did I do?
I joined the Air Force. I spent six years serving in the USAF and I'm proud of the time I served, but I didn't like the job. I could have retrained into another career field, but honestly I felt it was time to go home. My Dad had been diagnosed with dimensia and my wife was home-sick as well.
Last fall we loaded up the car and moved back home and I enrolled in classes. This time I knew what I wanted to study and what I enjoyed.
The Air Force taught me many important lessons and one of them was this. No matter what, make sure that the job you do every day is a job you enjoy. If you enjoy what you do you will perform well at that job. You will take interest in it, make things better and it will show.
I've been fiddling with computers for years now, building my own since I graduated from high school. Unfortunately it took me to long to figure it out.
Last fall I started classes at a local community college. I could have gone to a Major University in the area, but they didn't offer the classes or training that I wanted. This school was the only one in the area offering Cisco training and I knew that I could continue on to a 4 year institution once I finished my Associates. One of my instructors last fall turned out to be the Director of IT(trust me I didn't know until the end of the semester) here at the college. He saw how well I did and my professionalism. The next semester he hired me into the department part-time. At the time I did not hold any certifications or even a degree. I was given the dirt jobs that no one wanted to do. I didn't care, this work was much better than lifting boxes at UPS or turning a wrench on an aircraft while covered in hydraulic fluid. I worked hard and didn't even realize how much I was getting done. My boss took note, and when a full-time position opened up he offered me the job. That was back in June and at that time I had my A+ and Network+ certifications.
I'm very fortunate to have this job and I know it. This is a competitive field and I was in the right place at the right time, but it was more than that. I believe that because I really enjoy what I do, it shows. It shows in my quality of work, attention to detail, and performance.
So what is my tip? Enjoy what you do, and whatever it is keep going at it. Let your enthusiasm show and take interest in what you do. I may have impressed my current boss as a student but it was about 5 months after his class that I was offered a job. Patience is key!
Today I am one semester away from graduating with my associates. I'm blessed and I won't forget that. I just finished up my Linux+ certification yesterday. Currently I'm working on my CCNA and Security+ certifications.
When it comes to seeking certifications I think the same thing is true. If you enjoy what you study you will have an easier time focusing on and retaining the information.
Good luck to everyone searching and those seeking continued education. I hope you ENJOY it .
icon_wink.gif
Working on....
Comptia Security+

Comments

• Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    too long! didn't read! icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    darkerosxx wrote:
    too long! didn't read! icon_cool.gif

Ouch icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    Kevin10686Kevin10686 Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    nice tear jerker...quick do something manly!
  • Options
    MonkeyBoltMonkeyBolt Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Kevin10686 wrote:
    nice tear jerker...quick do something manly!
    I like girls icon_lol.gif
    Aston Villa FC
    Pride Of The Midlands

"Because you can read this thank a teacher, because it's in English thank a soldier"
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sorry to hear about your dad icon_sad.gif

I'm glad everything else seems to be going well for you. That's a great story, thanks for sharing :D
  • Options
    pennystraderpennystrader Member Posts: 155
    This story shows how hard work pays off. Glad things are getting better for you and that you found what you wanted to do. It really is amazing how when you like your job how much you can get done. W spend too much time at work away from our families to not at least be interested in our jobs. Liking your job definitely makes getting up easier in the morning and it is a good feeling when you can provide value to your employer.

The more knowledge one obtains the more there is too accumulate.....

• Options
    michaelkahlmichaelkahl Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I apologize for the lengthyness of it, but all of it relates. In short it took me 8 years to figure out what I enjoy doing. There was a retired Chief at our base and that is what he preached to all of us. If you don't enjoy it, move on. Enjoy what you do everyday and things will payoff.

dynamik thanks for what you said, how about I give you some good news related to that?

-Last year, about 2 months after I finished my enlistment we learned that my Dad has a condition called Hydrocephalus. This is an excess of fluid in the brain and cause dimensia symptoms. Here we are one year, and two shunts later and things have gotten a little better. My sister and Mom feel that he has regressed about a year or so. So it's slowly getting better, but even if it just prevents his dimensia from getting worse I will be happy.
    Working on....
    Comptia Security+