Options

what is the advantage of using multipoint interfaces on FR

mincolmincol Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

I don't understand the answer I found from my book said the advantage is IP address can be
conserved if VLSM is not being used for subnetting.

but I guess this is saying because multipoint interfaces share the same subnet on frame-relay ??

Please let me know if my thinking is right or not, thank you a lot.
CCNA 640-802 certificated

Comments

• Options
    ilcram19-2ilcram19-2 Banned Posts: 436
    well vlsm (variable leght subnet mask) allows you to save ip address in point to point connections, rather than to use 192.168.1.0/24, you are using 192.168.1.0/30 which it would give you a max of 2 usable ip address compare to the 254 if you decide to use 255.255.255.0,
    in point to point connections it is often use to reduce the waste of ip address since you only have 2 sites that you are trying to connect
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ilcram19-2 wrote:
    well vlsm (variable leght subnet mask) allows you to save ip address in point to point connections, rather than to use 192.168.1.0/24, you are using 192.168.1.0/30 which it would give you a max of 2 usable ip address compare to the 254 if you decide to use 255.255.255.0,
    in point to point connections it is often use to reduce the waste of ip address since you only have 2 sites that you are trying to connect

What if you have 20 sites? Are you still saving IP addresses using point to point connections?? What if it is full mesh??