Options

This journey is now complete - Passed ONT

miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
Today I took the ONT exam and passed with a 901. Not as well, as I had hoped, but still happy with the result. So my CCNP is now complete. All told, I have spent 10 full months to complete the certification. I have treated this quest like a full time job, studying, researching or re-creating the networks layout in GNS3 or real gear from the home lab, all told I feel I spent at minimum 40 per week on the task at hand for the 10 months. I have also not let a single day go by, that I did not study on some level.

My immediate plans will be to start on the CCDA today and then ARCH after that to complete the CCDP. My mind is made up on that. After that, I am not sure which direction I will go, I really enjoyed, the QOS, and VOIP material, and may lean toward CCVP, or may go on the opposite end of the spectrum and go MSCE.

CCIE, is still in the back of my mind, but it is way back there at this point.
I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
Page Count total to date - 1283

Comments

• Options
    ilcram19-2ilcram19-2 Banned Posts: 436
    congrats, welcome to the club
  • Options
    tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    miller811,
    miller811 wrote:
    Today I took the ONT exam and passed with a 901. Not as well, as I had hoped, but still happy with the result. So my CCNP is now complete. All told, I have spent 10 full months to complete the certification. I have treated this quest like a full time job, studying, researching or re-creating the networks layout in GNS3 or real gear from the home lab, all told I feel I spent at minimum 40 per week on the task at hand for the 10 months. I have also not let a single day go by, that I did not study on some level.

Firstly, congratulations on passing the 642-845 ONT exam and subsequent CCNP certification! :)
    miller811 wrote:
    My immediate plans will be to start on the CCDA today and then ARCH after that to complete the CCDP. My mind is made up on that. After that, I am not sure which direction I will go, I really enjoyed, the QOS, and VOIP material, and may lean toward CCVP, or may go on the opposite end of the spectrum and go MSCE.

A warning about the 640-863 DESGN exam from the perspective of a formerly CCDA certified individual and 640-861 DESGN exam attempter. As you may or may not know, the CCNA -> CCNP -> CCIE - R&S are all part of the Routing & Switching track. However, there are other tracks to include Security, Voice, and Wireless. As such, even from the perspective of the 640-861 DESGN exam, it covers the full breadth of knowledge from Routing & Switching, Security, Wireless, AND Voice. Do NOT get overconfident that this is "just" an Associate level certification. I think it's called an "Associate" level certification because it encompasses the knowledge level for CCNP/CCSP/CCVP/AWLANFE but without the implementing and troubleshooting factors. I can only imagine that the 642-873 ARCH exam is going to be just as broad but deeper in knowledge. Either way, I wish you luck in your future Cisco certification endevours in the Design track. :)

Oh, and from an OSI Model perspective, the absolute other end of the spectrum would be the Application Layer therefore programming and not System Engineering so MCAD/MCSD/MCTS/MCPD? :P
    miller811 wrote:
    CCIE, is still in the back of my mind, but it is way back there at this point.

Keep in mind that in the beginning, there was only the CCIE certification so to achieve the CCNP certification is like a "miniature-CCIE" so you're now officially one step closer to CCIE by achieving CCNP certification. :)
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Congrats, both on the pass and your new status as CCNP. :D

Sounds like you've got quite a road ahead, best of luck to you. By the time you finish up the CCDP and CCVP, I'm fairly sure that the MCITP: Enterprise Administrator will have gained some recognition in the industry, so you may want to give some thought to doing it in favor of the MCSE.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    PlazmaPlazma Member Posts: 503
    WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats man!!!!!! Finally a CCNP!!
    CCIE - COMPLETED!
  • Options
    redwarriorredwarrior Member Posts: 285
    Congratulations!!! It sounds like you have a pretty ambitious plan, but you've already taken a huge step there.

Sigh...I wonder if I'll ever be posting one of these! :)

CCNP Progress

ONT, ISCW, BCMSN - DONE

BSCI - In Progress

http://www.redwarriornet.com/ <--My Cisco Blog
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations! icon_thumright.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Congrats on the pass miller it was along road for you I know!
  • Options
    mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! :D That's great news to hear. Really inspired and can't wait to start attacking CCNP come 2009. :) Best of luck with CCDA and CCDP.
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats man!

Good luck on the design track. i hope to join you someday!
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    lildeezullildeezul Member Posts: 404
    congrats.

a job well done.

hope to be with you there one day..
    NHSCA National All-American Wrestler 135lb
  • Options
    kpjunglekpjungle Member Posts: 426
    Great job, congratulations!
    Studying for CCNP (All done)
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Great job. I always like to hear the dedicated you all take when you are getting certs... I know I'm not near that level of dedication so I envy you. :)
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    cdad2000cdad2000 Member Posts: 323
    Nice, I am also enjoying the QoS/VoIP portion of he NP journey.
  • Options
    Met44Met44 Member Posts: 194