Options

Beast got the best of me

emidemid Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
So I took 291 on Monday and failed. I scored a 676 icon_sad.gif .

This was the first test that I failed. I'm scheduled to have another go at it tomorrow (Friday). I really didn't have a good grasp of subnetting when I took it. I've been studying up a bit and hopefully am in a better position to take it now. What I'm wondering now is what my next test will look like. Obviously I won't get the exact same questions I got last time, but I'm curious to know how different it will be?

Can anyone who's taken these tests more than once clue me in on what I can expect? Should I be expecting a vastly different test this time around, or will it be pretty similar? I'm starting to freak out that I've been focusing to much on the test I failed and will sit down to a completely different animal.

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey you were pretty close, so don't be discouraged. :)

As far as your questions go, my guess is you will see quite a few of the same ones again. Possibly even the same sims. I don't know exactly how it works (obviously) but I do know they rotate the question pool on something like a monthly basis, so unless your timing is bad you should get questions from the same pool, giving you a good chance of seeing several of them again.

Either way, best of luck to you. Let us know how it goes. icon_cool.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Have you taken any other MS exams?

I jumped straight to 70-291 for my first exam not knowing how many people consider it the hardest, and I failed with a 678 the first time I took it. I brushed up on my weaker areas and got a 914 on my second attempt.

I did see repeat questions/sims on the second test, but there was plenty of new stuff, too.
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • Options
    bwcarty wrote:
    Have you taken any other MS exams?

I jumped straight to 70-291 for my first exam not knowing how many people consider it the hardest, and I failed with a 678 the first time I took it. I brushed up on my weaker areas and got a 914 on my second attempt.

I did see repeat questions/sims on the second test, but there was plenty of new stuff, too.

Yeah, I've taken 70-270 and 70-290. I did pretty well on those two and as a result underestimated the studying for this one. When did you take 291, was it recently? I only got one sim when I took it on Monday, and I'd love to get it again.
  • Options
    bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It's been over a year since I took 70-291. I had 4-5 sims each time.
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • Options
    msnelgrovemsnelgrove Member Posts: 167
    I only got one sim when I took it on Monday, and I'd love to get it again.
    Sounds like you might have had the same sim I did :P I spent a couple days and made sure I knew my subnetting. If you have the MS Press book do all the subnetting exercises and you should be good. Go over all the objectives and make sure you are comfortable with every topic. Good luck on your re-test!
  • Options
    Well it looks like the second time was the charm for me, I passed it. Glad to be done with this one, now I have decide whether I want to take 293 or 284 next. 284 will get me the MCSA, but everything I've read says that 293 builds directly off of 291. I guess I'll have to take them both eventually.

Decisions decisions :D
  • Options
    genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
    Congrats on your Pass! :)
    1) CCNP Goal: by August 2012
  • Options
    msnelgrovemsnelgrove Member Posts: 167
    WOOO! Congrats on slaying the beast, we knew you could do it!