Options

Do you guys recommend a contract for my customers?

pLuhhmmpLuhhmm Member Posts: 146
Okay, recently my company has been getting emails about services, and my dad made a good point about people might try and scam me. Soon Ill be getting my buisness license or w/e for $10, and now Im really thinking about hiring a lawyer and making me a contract for every customer to sign that states something like I am not held responsible for anything that I work on. Do you guys think this is a good idea? If so what do you recommend I do?
Ever wonder what makes special sauce so special? YO!

Comments

• Options
    JavonRJavonR Member Posts: 245
    I'm not sure what you should do exactly but I wouldn't even consider doing business without a contract drawn up by a lawyer. You are taking the right step :)
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    JavonR wrote:
    I'm not sure what you should do exactly but I wouldn't even consider doing business without a contract drawn up by a lawyer. You are taking the right step :)

+1

I really don't know much about law, but I would think you should have some kind of legal document before working on peoples equipment.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Do you guys think I should just make a quick contract myself using something, and have it state

"You here by recognize that "Insert my name" can not be held responsible for any damage done to any equipment and doing so allow "insert name" permission to be on the owners property and use of any equipment."
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    No, get a lawyer. You do not know law, the loopholes, and the legalities of business.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Without a doubt make something up. I was going to do this back when I lived in Cali. Just think you go to a small business and you need to do some basic work on a server that holds the companys info on it but they dont tell you that and the server hd goes out or a power cable comes unplugged. They now can sew the ever living crap out of you because you have lost all their company data. If they can justify it you can get screwed for hundreds of thousands maybe more. Start up a LLC so you have more of the law on your side then just a written agreement. LLC's are a great idea for someone in your situation. They are cheap like $200 to do and you have so much less to worry about.
  • Options
    I know to get a lawyer, but I meant would that do good enough just for a basic pc repair.
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I would still start an LLC even for that. If you come across someone who works from home and their business is on their pc at home you're still in the same situation. I woul play it smart from the start.
  • Options
    Okay, well Im gonna have to do that later then because I dont have the money atm, but after I do my next two jobs I should.
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Keep in mind, lawyer or not. You can and will be held liable. You'll also need insurance if your in business to win.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    MCPWannabeMCPWannabe Member Posts: 194
    pLuhhmm wrote:
    Okay, recently my company has been getting emails about services, and my dad made a good point about people might try and scam me. Soon Ill be getting my buisness license or w/e for $10, and now Im really thinking about hiring a lawyer and making me a contract for every customer to sign that states something like I am not held responsible for anything that I work on. Do you guys think this is a good idea? If so what do you recommend I do?

I would go to a standard paralegal in this case. You don't need to let an attorney take you for a ride (and they will take as much money as they can) until you start making some good money and actually have a lot of assets that you can lose. Until then, any attorney that you go to will just use the standard forms that a paralegal will use.
    I've escaped call centers and so can you! Certification Trail and mean pay job offers for me: A+ == $14, Net+==$16, MCSA==$20-$22, MCAD==$25-$30, MCSD -- $40, MCT(Development), MCITP Business Intelligence, MCPD Enterprise Applications Developer -- $700 a Day
  • Options
    JavonRJavonR Member Posts: 245
    I second the LLC, that could save your a** in the end.
  • Options
    ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    Have to agree with the rest of the guys. I am also doing something similar to you. If you already got your doing business as name then you should really look into insurance. Its not expensive for a company like the one you want to run but would def be a must.

I would also check with a someone to see what you can legally draw up. Other than that you will just have your basic forms for dropping off a machine depending on what your doing.
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress