Options

GNS3 Hardware specs???

itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hey guys I want to run GSN3 cause I love the GUI so you can make text descriptions
and cool topology maps..I have it installed on my laptop which has

2GB ram
duo core amd processor
and no antispyware/av running
just bare bones XP pro SP2

and man it eats up my CPU

I have tried Affinity configs and just locks up due to CPU maxed out

what hardware do i really need or what am i doing wrong?

thanks

Comments

• Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I haven't got into dynamips very much aside from just testing with it before I just got remote power switches for my physical lab. But have you adjusted your idlepc values? If not, you will run into high CPU utilization with even a couple of routers.

Check out this thread for good idlepc values for various images:

http://7200emu.hacki.at/viewtopic.php?t=9

The rest of hacki's site has a lot of other great resources for dynamips/dynagen and GNS3 as well. I do remember reading several threads when I was researching things that there were a few people getting significantly higher CPU utilization running the same configuration through GNS3 vs just dynagen.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yea, it's your idlepc value. It'll use 100% unless you specify the value.

They have a relatively new "new users" tutorial up here: http://www.gns3.net/documentation

That'll show you how to set everything up.
  • Options
    wow thanks a lot cause man my laptop has some power and man 3 routers is bogging it down to a hault. i do not run any AV/AS like i said stripped down purely for GNS3

thanks so much man i missed that ;)
    will let you know how it turns out thanks men!

-robert :D
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Put AV on to it though.
  • Options
    I will be using Ubtuntu 8.04 (Hardy Haron) as Linux Power Horse .I have a 64-bit Intel Machine with Quad Core 2+ Ghz processor coupled with 8Gigs of physical RAM at my disposal. This helps me run full CCIE topology on One machine (using 10+routers ) , multiple vmware instances while conserving resources at my relatively low-end Windows laptop . If you have multiple pc’s , you can add all of them into one GNS3 topology using distributed approach as shown in this tutorial. This will ease-up burden on single pc and make your labs run faster and better.

I found this guys specs off of brainbump.net.. I was thinking that GNS3 needs this kind of machine for a ccie lab full no sheeet!

wow! i want to build this for my ohme GNS3 inthe works ;)
  • Options
    It just has more RAM than most people's machine. Everything else is standard.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    itdaddy wrote:
    I will be using Ubtuntu 8.04 (Hardy Haron) as Linux Power Horse .I have a 64-bit Intel Machine with Quad Core 2+ Ghz processor coupled with 8Gigs of physical RAM at my disposal. This helps me run full CCIE topology on One machine (using 10+routers ) , multiple vmware instances while conserving resources at my relatively low-end Windows laptop . If you have multiple pc’s , you can add all of them into one GNS3 topology using distributed approach as shown in this tutorial. This will ease-up burden on single pc and make your labs run faster and better.

I found this guys specs off of brainbump.net.. I was thinking that GNS3 needs this kind of machine for a ccie lab full no sheeet!

wow! i want to build this for my ohme GNS3 inthe works ;)

If he needs that much computing power to run ten routers hes doing something terribly wrong. I run about eight on a machine I have with a 1.7 ghz amd and 1 gig ram running vista. I don't use GNS3 though, just Dynagen.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    JavonRJavonR Member Posts: 245
    Just right click a router ---> Idle PC --> Select an idle pc value = fixed :)
  • Options
    Javon

I will have to try that

Tiersten

you are right 64bit Quad core; I run only duo core isnt duo core only 2 CPUs
    while quadcore is 4 cpus???

and yeah GNS3 networker takes a butt load of processor power...

;) thanks wil have to try this; thanks a lot!
  • Options
    itdaddy wrote:
    you are right 64bit Quad core; I run only duo core isnt duo core only 2 CPUs
    while quadcore is 4 cpus???
    Yes. Quad core isn't that unusual these days however.
  • Options
    tiersten

Yeah my laptop is duo core.....but just from playing with IDL PC by right clicking
    oh yeah I got 3 routers down even when I come back myvalues have to be recalc'd
    each time i open the lab up again. is that normal cause i do the new project and
    save config and it saves all my configs but i have to alwasy recalc all my IDLE PC
    values is that normal..????

and what works best is i just keep doing it until my task manager perfmon say like 3 percent cpu
    and it has been working take about 10 minutes for a big lab of 4 to 6 routers runnning
    but i can get it lower my cpu amount ....
    but I am going build me a quad core intel machine with sata drives and 1024 fsb speed
    for sure. and then i will be ready. I think i can build it for 400.00 usd i think i have monitor
    and kvm switch so just need the tower

power
    ram
    cpu
    mobo
    all ineed

i might do 8 GB of ram maybe or maybe only 4GB of ram
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Not to hijack the thread but i thought you required a lab for the CCIE do to the stuff you perform? is the CCIE possible using dynamips?
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    nel wrote:
    Not to hijack the thread but i thought you required a lab for the CCIE do to the stuff you perform? is the CCIE possible using dynamips?

Check out DT's post here: http://techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=198109#198109

You'll still need switches.