CCNA NEWBIE

RoddieboyRoddieboy Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
HI

Ive got myself 2 cisco routers (2600 and 2500).Heres the issue.I wanna try out the RIP lab and unfortunately the 2600 has just 2 F/E links and no serial outs .The 2500 on the other hand has 3 serials. and 1 ethernet.

Any clue on how to simulate a WAN environment with this?

Thanks in advance
"I think therefore I am"

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Well if you interconnect them using the Ethernet connections, and configure loopback address (as the Lan interface) you can do most of the lab but it would be more like a segmented LAN then a WAN plus it will be a bit different to configure. But I suggest picking up a cheap 2501 ($100 or less even) so you can do:
    [host/lan1]eth----eth[2600]eth----eth[2500]ser----ser[2501]eth---[host/lan2]

which would allow you to practice all the routing protocols, and your lab will be prepared for the CCNP-BSCI exam as well.

Check out the following post for much more information on home labs and the initial setup:
    icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3349
  • Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    I agree w/ Webmaster....You can find 2500s on Ebay for under 100.00. But make sure they come with DOA warranty. If you do this, it will be a closer fit to what you need to know on the CCNA exam. And save the 2600 for you CCNP lab.
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA