Options

Pro-Vista Laptop

dfjamadfjama Banned Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
Good Evening
I have an issue a toshiba satelite pro laptop that came with pre-vista installed.
I am trying to downgrade the OS to xp becoz the end user is not happy with vista but am failing to do so. After I boot the pc to CD, I receive setup cannot find any disk..error, same as when someone tries to to install xp on a SCSI HDD.

Any suggestions, I am sure some of you guys came over this as vista is not loved by many pc users including me, in speed wise etc.

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You'll have to find the driver and put it on a floppy disk, and then press F6 when prompted by XP's setup program (right at the beginning).
  • Options
    macdudemacdude Member Posts: 173
    You can also check the bios and see if the sata settings have any legacy mode that you can turn on. That way you want need the driver.
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Windows XP predates SATA, which is what all modern computers ship with. You must set the BIOS itself to emulate an IDE connection.

Some BIOSs will call this Legecy mode, emulation mode, IDE mode or any number of other modes. If this option does not show in your BIOS you will have to run an updats on the BIOS first.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    macdudemacdude Member Posts: 173
    XP does not predate sata. The newer computer have a different sata controller that xp does not know unless you change the bios setting or get the driver for it.

I can install XP on older computers with out changing anything in the bios or getting a driver for it.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    SATA was out in 2003 while XP was out in 2001. The BIOS in those machines were probably set to emulate an IDE connection by default.