Options

USB over Terminal Services...can this be done?

vsmith3rdvsmith3rd Member Posts: 142 ■■■□□□□□□□
Aside from local printers and storage, can USB devices be recognized over Terminal Services? I have an issue with a USB pinpad connected to a Thin Client terminal, but the OS doesn't even recognize it. Not even as an improperly installed device.
Certified Lunatic.

Comments

• Options
    draineydrainey Member Posts: 261
    Have you checked to make sure USB is turned on in the thin client? Had that issue with a USB printer and a thin client once. Had to enable USB on the thin client before the TS would recognize the printer as a device.

HTH.
    The irony truly is strange that you're the only one you can change. -- Anthony Gomes
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Make sure you have the latest version of the RDP client to have USB working successfully.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    Thanks for the responses. My apologies for not communicating my issue properly. I can get USB device recognition, but the issue is with a particular pinpad (encrypted). I've verified that the pinpad works with a direct conncetion to a PC, and I've verified that the thin client USB ports work for other, non-encrypted pinpads, particularly, a USB printer. I thought I heard somewhere that USB devices, outside USB storage and printers, had issues over RDP. Again, thanks for the responses, I'll try that firmware upgrade.
    Certified Lunatic.
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Again - are you on the lastest RDP client? I have seen many occasions when a USB device is prone to errors or doesn't work successfully that an upgrade there allows the device to work successfully.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    Is this for a point of sale terminal? If so, sometimes I have had to emulate the usb port as a com port over RDP for it to work.

Good luck!
  • Options
    Sorry, I've been gone for a while. I'll give your solutions a try. Thanks to all.
    Certified Lunatic.
  • Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    USB devices will work through terminal services, yes.

That said, I've often ran into a lot of headaches when trying to set them up. I've personally setup pinpads and credit/debit card swipers connected to thin clients, to work with a terminal server.

Exactly what issue are you having? Are you saying that the pinpad is recognized and installed properly by the thin client, but it does not map the device to the terminal server session at all?

Are you mapping other locally connected USB devices, just not the pinpad?