Group Policy Object for DNS

brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
As part of our default Domain Policy, which is enforced, I have a setting under
Computer Confi >> Admin Templates >> Network/DNS Client
We have
-DNS Servers Enabled, with two IP's, space delimited as it calls for
-Dynamic Update enabled
-Primary DNS Suffix enabled

However, some of our PC's, which are part of the domain, are not getting this particular part of this policy, while the rest of the policy's options work fine.

Single Domain. 2 DC's.

Anyone have any ideas where I could start with this one? I've considered making it its own policy, but I'd rather find the problem first.

thanks

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Have you looked at RSoP or the GPMC modeling/reporting tools?

Are these computers in the same OU that might be blocking/overriding these settings?
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:
    Have you looked at RSoP or the GPMC modeling/reporting tools?

Are these computers in the same OU that might be blocking/overriding these settings?

I have looked at the GP Modeling, but it did not help me.

I have gone through all of the policies that are being applied and none related to DNS are explicitly disabled. They machines are defintely in the scope of the policy, and the Default GP and Default PC GP's are enforced. Im stuck.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You're sure the policy's been refreshed? Have you checked the event logs? Maybe issue a gpupdate /force and check your logs to see if anything gets triggered.
  • Options
    The force doesnt apply it, as it is nothing new.

Maybe I'll take one of the DNS servers out of the list and do a force and see what happens.
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Is there any difference in the way the clients in question get their IP configuration? Hard coded vs. DHCP enabled? Is there a conflicting setting in DHCP?
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Is there any difference in the way the clients in question get their IP configuration? Hard coded vs. DHCP enabled? Is there a conflicting setting in DHCP?
    Static IP's, that I give them. No DHCP.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    There's a group policy for group policy refresh where you can force all settings to refresh instead of just changes, and change the time interval of refreshes. I've solved some lingering issues of settings not applying in the past by setting the one to force all settings to be applied.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...