Options

seen something beautiful today

empc4000xlempc4000xl Member Posts: 322
Now normally this would piss me off, but it didnt'. I was in class tonight and it was a mother in there with her 2 children. She was working a WAN on packet tracer while her 2 kids watched a movie on a laptop. The instructer in class seem not to be bothered and didn't boot her when class started. She seemed like she had a hard day(she was in her fast food uniform). The point I"m making was that she was there helping herself instead of asking for a handout with tough challeneges ahead of her. Just taking time thinking about how much I complain about studying for certs being single and watching somebody do the same thing in a much worse off in place than me makes it easy to study :D

Comments

• Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    something tells me that this is a single mother, working her way through school, and that the babysitter bailed on her at the last minute. She probably cleared it with the teacher, or at least I'd imagine she would. I am generally not a fan of people bringing kids to classes as they can be disruptive and distracting (and YES this is coming from a woman), but it sounds like they were well behaved and it sounds like this woman no other choice but to bring her kids along to school so she could help them in the long run.

You're right, it just goes to show you - when you think you've got it tough, there's almost always someone out there who's got it tougher. I'm just managing with a husband and a dog and a condo to take care of while I study for certs and go back to school next semester, I can't imagine trying to take care of two kids on my own while going to school AND working in a fast food restaurant, WOW! Talk about patience and dedication and time management! icon_eek.gif
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    cdad2000cdad2000 Member Posts: 323
    Do you think that we could ever stop studying/ learning new technologies in our field? I look forward to the day that I could put down the ciscopress book, and pick up a novel.
  • Options
    ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    That is something that is never going to happend. I learn something new everyday and believe that the day i stop learning is when my time has finally arrived for me to die.
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • Options
    APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    I think someone's signature on these forums sums it up perfectly....

'The day you stop learning, is the day you start becoming obsolete'

I think it might be dynamik's or royal's?????? Correct me if I'm wrong......

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • Options
    ilcram19-2ilcram19-2 Banned Posts: 436
  • Options
    Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    Hi

hats off to her, i have 3 kids under 4 and my cert life came to an end with the birth of the first one, and i already work in IT and i am not a single parent, puts me to shame i guess

Lee H
  • Options
    BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ULWiz wrote:
    That is something that is never going to happend. I learn something new everyday and believe that the day i stop learning is when my time has finally arrived for me to die.

Man, you must be the life of the party :)
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • Options
    motogpmanmotogpman Member Posts: 412
    It sounds like she is dedicated enough to do what she has to better herself, Lord knows we need more people like that in this country who truly understand what it means to sacrifice in order to bettter themselves. Ok, rant over!....

These are the kind of stories that motivate me, especially when I have to deal with a present co worker who is a complete paper MCSE/braindumper dumbass. I know there are plenty of other people who actually know what the hell is going on and are dedicated, like this woman probably is.

I can relate though, being a single dad has forced me to make sacrifices and/or be creative in how I get things accomplished before my wonderful wife came along and has helped me share the responsibilities. She will probably be a good worker, most people would have probably just stayed at home and said screw it. Thank God her kids weren't the "running around flooping on the ground screaming and crying" types, eh?
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

WGU: BS in IT, Design/Management

Finish MCITP:EA, CCNA, PMP by end of 2012

After that, take a much needed vacation!!!!!
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    empc4000xl wrote:
    Now normally this would piss me off, but it didnt'. I was in class tonight and it was a mother in there with her 2 children. She was working a WAN on packet tracer while her 2 kids watched a movie on a laptop. The instructer in class seem not to be bothered and didn't boot her when class started. She seemed like she had a hard day(she was in her fast food uniform). The point I"m making was that she was there helping herself instead of asking for a handout with tough challeneges ahead of her. Just taking time thinking about how much I complain about studying for certs being single and watching somebody do the same thing in a much worse off in place than me makes it easy to study :D

Why you should never discount the IT pro sitting next to you as getting there the easy way or that you are somehow better than all around you........

Hats off to the gal and more importantly, the very wise lecturer....
    Kam.
  • Options
    jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    empc4000xl wrote:

This is such a great story, I feel more motivated her situation is harder than mine.