No Ethernet Interface on new 2501

pboutellpboutell Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello I received a couple of 2501 routers today and have been playing around with them. While I have been able to configure my serial interfaces and have connectivity between the routers. the problem I am having is there are no ethernet interfaces on either router. I purchased a couple of transceiver and they are installed. the power led comes on and the link led comes on when i connect it to a hub, or to each other with a crossover cable.
show interface ?
command produces the following
Async Async interface
Null Null interface
Serial Serial
accounting Show interface accounting
crb Show interface routing/bridging info
irb Show interface routing/bridging info
<cr>

and initial startup has this

%SYS-5-RELOAD: Reload requested
System Bootstrap, Version 11.0(10c), SOFTWARE
Copyright (c) 1986-1996 by cisco Systems
2500 processor with 2048 Kbytes of main memory

%SYS-4-CONFIG_NEWER: Configurations from version 11.2 may not be correctly understood.
F3: 3941240+51568+146764 at 0x3000060

Restricted Rights Legend

Use, duplication, or disclosure by the Government is
subject to restrictions as set forth in subparagraph
(c) of the Commercial Computer Software - Restricted
Rights clause at FAR sec. 52.227-19 and subparagraph
(c) (1) (ii) of the Rights in Technical Data and Computer
Software clause at DFARS sec. 252.227-7013.

cisco Systems, Inc.
170 West Tasman Drive
San Jose, California 95134-1706

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software
IOS (tm) 2500 Software (C2500-F-L), Version 11.2(15a), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Copyright (c) 1986-1998 by cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Mon 24-Aug-98 00:58 by tmullins
Image text-base: 0x0301F6AC, data-base: 0x00001000

cisco 2500 (68030) processor (revision N) with 2048K/2048K bytes of memory.
Processor board ID 09775962, with hardware revision 00000000
Bridging software.
2 Serial network interface(s)
32K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.
8192K bytes of processor board System flash (Read ONLY)

So where are my ethernet interfaces? did I just buy some bad routers?
thanks for any help I've been scouring the internet for hours trying to find an answer

Comments

• tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Try putting a regular IP IOS on it. You've got a FRAD IOS on it at the moment. It is a reduced cost feature set that only supports serial for SDLC <---> frame relay.
  • pboutellpboutell Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the tip! My other question is then how can I load an IOS over an interface with just serial connection? am I going to need another router with a serial and ethernet connection to set up tftp and connect to it?
  • bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    xModem transfer

You will have a very limited choice of IOS, your 2501 only has 2MB Ram and 4MB Flash......
    Jack of all trades, master of none
    You don't need another router to run the TFTP server. You can get TFTP server software for most operating systems.

2500 upgrade procedure. Read the run from flash portion.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    He doesn't have Ethernet, so I think he's asking if he can connect to a router that does in order to connect to a TFTP server. This whole scenario is pretty funny. If you have another router, go for it. Like Bighornsheep said though, that's not necessary. It looks like you get to learn how to upgrade your memory as well :D
    You will have a very limited choice of IOS, your 2501 only has 2MB Ram and 4MB Flash......
    It has 8MB of flash. I'm having trouble finding a release that will fit into 2MB of RAM though.

Looks like you're going to have to buy some RAM for it if you want to use it. Not sure how worth it will be to upgrade really.
    yeah I noticed the ram issue.. thats lame. oh well i only paid 10 dollars a piece for them. maybe ill get some better ones and just use these for serial configurations. thanks for your help guys
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Check memory prices on eBay. I just took a quick glance, and you can get 16/16 (max flash and ram) pack for $25. The question is whether or not to upgrade those or put the $25 towards something better.
    arn't they just regular simm chips? if so i have a few hundred 16meg simms laying around at work or do i need cisco proprietary ram?
    You need 72 pin FPM SIMMs for a 2500. Maximum is 16MB in total. Some 2500s have 2MB soldered onto the board itself which will be in addition to whatever you add yourself.

The flash SIMMs you'll need to buy however. 8MB maximum per SIMM. 2 SIMMs per router. You have to partition it into 1 single 16MB partition.

I did make a list of what type of memory each router needed. Let me see if I can find it again...
  • bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    tiersten wrote:
    It has 8MB of flash. I'm having trouble finding a release that will fit into 2MB of RAM though.

Looks like you're going to have to buy some RAM for it if you want to use it. Not sure how worth it will be to upgrade really.

You're right, I wasn't reading carefully; his box has 4MB RAM, 8MB Flash...
    Jack of all trades, master of none
    tiersten wrote:

You're right, I wasn't reading carefully; his box has 4MB RAM, 8MB Flash...
    icon_redface.gif Yup. We've all been reading it wrong. 4MB RAM and 8MB Flash. Lemme look at CCO again...
    Still no luck. Minimum seems to be 8MB/8MB on CCO at least.
  • NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    First off, make sure it's a 2501. There are a lot of 2500 models that only have token ring interfaces.

Look just to the left of the on/off switch. It should say Cisco 2501.

You probably already did this, but just in case you didn't I wanted to chime in.

I'd hate to see someone upgrade RAM or flash on a token ring router and then still be out of luck.

:)