Options

Installing Windows updates with logging on as admin?

BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
Several of our users are being put back to limited use accounts, yet we wish to still be able to do updates as they come in. I know with Office, you can set up a short cut to get it to install with admin permission on a non admin account. Can this be done with updates as well and can it be automated to run at night after system maint. is done?

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Why don't you just setup WSUS?
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    +1 for WSUS and GPO that allows non-admins to do this.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you can't go with WSUS schedule their update times, automatic udpates will install for non-admin users (they just can't manually run Windows updates). But there really is no reason not to run WSUS, excellent tool.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    WSUS
    WSUS
    WSUS
    WSUS
    WSUS
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I'll put in another vote for WSUS. This situation is exactly what it was designed for.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    SilentsoulSilentsoul Member Posts: 260
    For all you WSUS gurus, I have a replication server that is pushing out updates by GPO, every now and then I get a machine that does not like to update. OR like the issue now, a machine that wants to update 120 times every time it shuts off.

Any ideas? I was thinking something was wrong with the GPO but it works for every other machine in my enterprise.

Any of you guys ran into this one before?