Options

Best CCNA Book?

jsolarijsolari Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey All,

Im looking for a good study book for my CCNA.

I was looking at:

Todd Lammle Sybex CCNA book
http://www.amazon.com/CCNA-Certified-Network-Associate-640-802/dp/0470110082/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1226428205&sr=1-2

or

Wendell Odoms CCNA Certification Library
http://www.amazon.com/Official-Certification-Library-640-802-Guide/dp/1587201836/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1226428205&sr=1-3

what would everyone recommend?

Thanks...

Comments

• Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have used both, the Lammle's book is an easier read for me and many others seem to agree with that. The Cisco Press books tend to be more detailed and can be more "dry" and difficult to read but they do contain more information.

I went through both of the prior version of the Odom's CCNA Library and the Sybex older fifth edition book when I was preparing for the CCNA a year or so ago but never took. I'm settled down with the family life more now and I'm going to brush up and my plan is to read the current Sybex CCNA book (sixth edition) and then go through the Odom books as well. I suppose one could get by passing the exam with the Sybex book and hands-on, but if one really truely wants to know the material very well and beyond just passing the test I would use both resources.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I used Lammle's Sixth Edition for CCENT and liked it a lot...
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'd recommend both.

If you have lots of networking and Cisco experience, you may be able to use Todd's Sybex book as a review and pass the exam. But if you're new to networking and Cisco, you'd probably need to read Wendell Odoms CCNA Certification Library.

Check out the CCNA FAQ suggested books section.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    JavonRJavonR Member Posts: 245
    I've read both, and I would recommending spending the extra cash and getting both :)

Odom's are dry, but give you extra details and go in depth with troubleshooting.

Lammel's are straight to the point and give you everything you need to know for the exams.

They compliment each other well.
  • Options
    VantageUKVantageUK Member Posts: 111
    I'm currently looking at Cisco official and this one (Richard Deal).

Would the Deal one be easy to read but still include everything I need? I generally need something that is at least a bit light-hearted. Or should I just stick to the Cisco official one? And is the Boson software any good?

Or Sybex?

Cheers

Charlie.
  • Options
    wiseguywiseguy Member Posts: 62 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I purchased Todd Lammle Sybex CCNA book and I really like it so far. As far as a technical books go it doesn't really drag. The material maybe easier from my point of view since it's more or less a refresher. My college offered course material from the Cisco Network Academy curriculm, and I have found Todd Lammle Sybex CCNA an easy read.
  • Options
    VantageUKVantageUK Member Posts: 111
    Just ordered the Lammle book. This one.

Wish me luck.
  • Options
    NullCodeNullCode Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good Luck , you shoul take a look at Packet Tracer and GNS3 ( dynamips ) programs . It will help you for the labs issues.
    Good Luck ;)
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Don't be afraid to look to other resources for topics that need more clarification. For example, if the CCNA books leaves a lot to be desired for a certain topic like spanning tree, don't be afraid to look to a CCNP level book to help clarify. Whatever path you choose, just make sure you understand the material. Don't limit yourself to just what the book says.

I probably over-prepared for this exam by taking that approach, but it paid off rather nicely in the positions I was able to be in after knocking the CCNA out with a 961.
  • Options
    jflash42jflash42 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    "Prepare to stand-by."
    "Prepared to stand-by!"
    "Stand-by to stand-by."
    "Standing-by to stand-by!"
    "Stand-by"
    "Standing-by!"

...is how I'd describe Odom's writing style. He takes way too much paper to explain what's coming in the next chapter or subsection. You can skip the first paragraph in every chapter and subsection, because it just tells you what comes next. That tip will cut about 50 pages off the book for you.

That said, Odom's book has all the info you need to pass the exam and it's fairly easy to understand (if you can stay awake). Personally, I'd try the Sybex before I bought another Odom book.

Also, and IMPORTANT tip: Be SURE to download the errata for the book from the publisher's website BEFORE studying from the book. The errata lists all the corrections to the book since publishing and you need to go through and write in the corrections. I didn't do this for the ICND1 book and it cost me dearly. There's a practice question with a diagram that has tons of wrong information in it, and I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out how I could have screwed my answer up so badly.

Turns out I was mostly right, and the diagram was mis-labeled in 4 places.

• Options
    mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I only happened to use Odom's older edition books that I had from the 640-801 as a reference and used Todd Lammle's Sybex book for 640-802 as a primary source for my CCNA studies. I can honestly agree with everyone else that Todd Lammle's writing style is easier to read and he does go over the topics, but I felt that it was not enough. I used several sources to compliment the foundation set by Lammle's book thus resulting in decent preparation to pass.
  • Options
    auosauos Member Posts: 186
    Hi,

If you want to know what is network I prefer Wendell Odoms books, they are very good books and include many details and the important thing the books focus on troubleshooting and it is important for exam. I pass my exam because of Wendell Odoms books.

BR,
    Auos.