Options

Recovering Corrupt floppy file

Darian929Darian929 Member Posts: 197
Hello I was given a floppy by my teacher so that I could try to recover the file thats in it which seems to be a corrupted microsoft file. I know its corrupt because it won't open on any computer so I have tried some software online for recovering files but I am not sure im picking any good ones. So far my attempts have failed and whenever I try to open the recovered file it'll say publisher cannot open this file. So my question is can anyone suggest a good recovery software to try recover this corrupt publisher file? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I am using File Scavenger for quite a long time ...

http://www.quetek.com/prod02.htm

Hope this helps ..
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,039 Admin
    Have you tried the usual CHKDSK programs? Is the file is still corrupt if you copy it to a hard drive and then open the copy? And have you tried reading/copying the file using a different floppy drive?
  • Options
    Hello guys I tried about 4 different recovery tools and same thing keeps happening... when it puts it in a destination folder and i try opening it it'll open publisher and say cannot open file. Also if i try drag the file from the floppy to Hard drive it won't let me... you guys think its impossible to recover this file from the floppy? I mean it won't open in any computer so its just the floppy disk not the drive.
  • Options
    Well, if the floppy media is physically damaged (gouged, bent, scratched) then there's not really much you can do. If the media appears to be physically OK, the SpinRite program will perform a low-level repair of floppies and all other magnetic media, but it's a $90 program. You need to ask yourself if that file is worth more to you than a copy of SpinRite. Also consider that SpinRite works miracles in fixing hard drives that no other program can do, so it's a very good thing to have when you need it, and it usually more than pays for itself with the first use.
  • Options
    Hey Murray I went for your advice and bought it and tried it, however I am still unable to recover the file inside the floppy. The floppy disk seems to be in perfect condition but when I try open the file now with publisher it'll say unable to located A:\****.Pub so i guess it was not meant to be recovered lol ill just let the teacher know it was beyond corrupted lol. Thanks and I can really use this spinrite on other stuff now I liked the interface and everything.
  • Options
    Well, the only remaining explanation is that the file was corrupt *before* it was written to the floppy, or an error occurred during the writing process. Let your teacher know that the original file (wherever it is) may be corrupt too. It would be interesting to open up the floppy in a sector editor and see what's in the file's clusters, but that wouldn't fix anything that a CHKDSK couldn't fix.
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Darian929 wrote:
    Hey Murray I went for your advice and bought it and tried it, however I am still unable to recover the file inside the floppy. The floppy disk seems to be in perfect condition but when I try open the file now with publisher it'll say unable to located A:\****.Pub so i guess it was not meant to be recovered lol ill just let the teacher know it was beyond corrupted lol. Thanks and I can really use this spinrite on other stuff now I liked the interface and everything.

No love for Hero?! BAH! icon_evil.gif
    Good luck to all!