slow connection issue

tkaadoutkaadou Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have a 2003 server with 2 windows XP clients. The clients however take too much time to connect to server.
After I enter username/password, it displays the "applying setting" screen and takes about 10-15 minutes.
(I'm using a 4-port switch linksys router)

Would anybody know what might cause this slow connection.??

I really appreciate any help

THanks.

Comments

• ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Are you using Active Directory? What address are the client PCs using for DNS servers? They should only have the IP address of an internal DNS server.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • tkaadoutkaadou Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes I am using Acting Directory. But I don't have DNS configured on the Win 2003 server.
    The clients are configured to obtain their DNS automatically from the INternet server Provider.
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you are using AD, you have an internal DNS server. XP uses DNS as its default name resolution. If the XP machines have DNS address other than the internal DNS that is working with AD, then the machine will be slow to log on.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • mikiemovmikiemov Member Posts: 182
    If you dont have DNS running on your domain, the xp machines wont be able to locate the IP addresses etc for your Domain Controllers.

Go through the configure your server wizard, install DNS, create a zone. Then configure your XP clients (either directly or DHCP) to use the local DNS server. No logon problems !
    A woman drove me to drink, and I didnt have the decency to thank her.