nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good luck man.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Good luck!
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    JavonRJavonR Member Posts: 245
    Good luck! Hopefully I can man up and book mine soon here....
  • Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    go nail the fecker....

or good luck.... :D
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Good Luck! icon_thumright.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    mattrgeemattrgee Member Posts: 201
    Thanks guys, would be great to pass this before the end of the year.

I'll let you know the outcome...
  • Options
    D-Day

Pretty nervous, at work at the moment, exam is at 3:45 GMT just under 6 hours away. Spent the weekend running through scenarios and going through notes etc... Just looking over some IPv6 info now as I still feel this is my weakest area.

I never know how these things could go. Am I confident? Good God no. Have I revised hard and given it 100%? Yes. Hopefully that is whats needed.

Matt
  • Options
    VantageUKVantageUK Member Posts: 111
    Good luck fella!
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Best of luck, dude!
  • Options
    Good luck - I have my exam scheduled for Thursday so I know the feeling :D
  • Options
    It's good to belong to the club that is CCNA! Woot woot. I took the two exam route, so this time round it was 640-816 ICND2.

I got to tell you, I thought the exam was tough, perhaps not entirely down to the difficulty of the questions but more the time pressure. The exam was 75 minutes with 41 questions, after twenty minutes I had done 3! One being a simulation, so I had to crank it up a notch and get through some of the straight multiple choice questions. I had 5 mins on the clock when I click onto the final question, terrified it was going to be another simulation. If it had I would have been screwed, but it wasn't! All in all a bit of a rollacoaster.

Anyway, I passed with 890, I wanted to break into the 900's, but not this time, hey ho. For future test takers here are a few details of the resources I used.

1. I used CBT Nuggets as an 'introduction' to the material, I watch these once and thought they gave me a good grounding in the topics covered.

2. Cisco Press ICND2. Good book, although I thought it suffered in some chapters from bad writing and a lack of structure. Even after studying the chapters I was still struggling to piece together the structure of some of the protocols and concepts. The IPv6 chapter was particularly awful.

3. Todd Lammel, a good book written far more casually than the Cisco Press book that allowed some topics to be understood far easier, yet sometimes lacking in detail.

4. 3x2950 Switches, 3x1721 router and the all mighty GNS3. I spent many hours configuring scenarios and testing concepts, I probably spent more time working on equipment then I did reading and doing the theory. I know there is a bit of an issue with the legality of GNS3 so don't shoot the messenger, but all I can say is GNS3 played an important part in building complex topologies that let me get hands on experience with all topics in the CCNA.

Right, I'm off for a beer and maybe a trip to Amazon for some light Cisco reading...

Matt :)
  • Options
    congrats on the pass!
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Matt,

COngrats man! what the hell took you so long to post ;)

Enjoy the beers man!
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    Congrats!! I need to schedule mine for sometime soon.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    worldmac1worldmac1 Member Posts: 121 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Way to go Matt! You are the man! 890 is not bad at all dude, it's a PASS!!!

I hope to be in the club with you too here pretty soon... Although it may be next year.=(

Sorry for such a late response, as I have been waste deep in understanding VTP, VLAN Configs, and STP...

The CBT for the 816 is great! I watched the VLAN chapters twice and then tried to read chapter 1 of the Cisco Press..I found myself nodding off several times...I also found the CBT to be much more interesting and I followed along with Cisco's Packet Tracer 5.

What is next on your agenda? Are you planning to go Voice, security, associate status, or more along the lines of professional (ccnp, ccvp, etc)? I suppose you'll take a week or so off so your head doesn't explode like the guy in "Scanners".

Congrats again, and keep up the with the studies!!!
    Certs in Progress:

CCNP:Routing 300-101 15%
    OIIIIIIIO
  • Options
    Thanks guys. It feels bloody good to have this wrapped up before the end of the year. Not sure what to do next, I feel inclined to do one of the concentrations, maybe Voice followed by Security. Wireless doesn't interest me that much to be honest.

Looking back on the exam it's surprising how many topics weren't covered, I won't go into details.

For anyone in the UK, the test I used was Taitec in Manchester, this is a Prometric and Pearson Vue centre. The test centre was ok, they didn't take my photograph although they did check my ID and get me to sign the various forms. There wasn't anywhere to put your belongings, so I had store my bag in a filing cabinet for 'safe keeping' not good really. The test centre was also a bit noisy with old equipment. The computer I used was had an old mouse with no wheel and a keyboard that made shockwaves with every key pressed! I'll probably try a different test centre next time. icon_cool.gif

For anyone studying the CCNA, just remember the CCNA is not unreachable and limited to a an elite group of computer geeks. It is obtainable by anyone who is willing to put the effort in, learn the material and practice the concepts!

Good Luck.

Matt
  • Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    well done matt good score and a great pass icon_smile.gif

know what you mean about the test centre (ive not used that one tho) some of them are shocking... so yeah look around till you find one your happy testing in icon_smile.gif
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    ConstantlyLearningConstantlyLearning Member Posts: 445
    Well done man.
    "There are 3 types of people in this world, those who can count and those who can't"
  • Options
    kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats! Not a bad score at all.

Don't get me started on testing centers, at the one where I took ICND1 I had to tell them they needed two pieces of ID.

I was considering doing CCNA Voice after I finish CCNA too, but it looks like the equipment is pretty spendy (I need to have hands on). So now I'm thinking that I'll go for CCNP. Good luck with what ever route you choose.
  • Options
    VantageUKVantageUK Member Posts: 111
    Well done, mate.

Have a beer :D
  • Options
    boswd83boswd83 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Matt, I have my ccent exam booked at Taitec in Manchester next week. Ive been there before and you're right it is a bit of a ****! Was wondering on the ICND1 exam did you get any quesions/sims on SDM?

cheers
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    boswd83 wrote:
    Hi Matt, I have my ccent exam booked at Taitec in Manchester next week. Ive been there before and you're right it is a bit of a ****! Was wondering on the ICND1 exam did you get any quesions/sims on SDM?

cheers

That can not be answered by anyone who has taken the exam. It would violate the NDA everyone agrees to when they take the exam. Violating it could result in losing your certification and being banned from taking any further exams.

My advice to you would be to be confident on everything on the exam blue print prior to attempting the exam.

Good luck!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.