Options

CCNA Preparation - Equipment recommendation

dublinguydublinguy Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Guys,

I am looking for the advise,I made my mind to go for CCENT/CCNA exam,I have working experience in telecom company but didnt have hands on Cisco router or Cisco Switches. I am thinking to buy the below equipment for around 250+ Euro, would any of you please guide me the golden rules how to prepare/pass these exams. Should i buy this equipment in order to get myself ready for the exam?

I want to appear for CCENT in 2 weeks time and then the same for CCNA, would you guys think am i going the right directions??

http://itelligentsia.com/

http://petiturl.com/sn

Its my first post.Hope to get good advise out of it.

Many thanks
Kind Regards,
DG

Comments

• Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Check out the FAQ for all your general questions:

http://techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7268

I wouldnt go for the lab on ebay. you could probably piece it together cheaper yourself for those models. The FAQ has all the models recommended + books, cbt's etc.

Welcome to the forums.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    dublinguy wrote:
    Hi Guys,

I am looking for the advise,I made my mind to go for CCENT/CCNA exam,I have working experience in telecom company but didnt have hands on Cisco router or Cisco Switches. I am thinking to buy the below equipment for around 250+ Euro, would any of you please guide me the golden rules how to prepare/pass these exams. Should i buy this equipment in order to get myself ready for the exam?

I want to appear for CCENT in 2 weeks time and then the same for CCNA, would you guys think am i going the right directions??

http://itelligentsia.com/

http://petiturl.com/sn

Its my first post.Hope to get good advise out of it.

Many thanks
    Kind Regards,
    DG

Depending on your budget even a single 2501 is better than nothing. Pick up a few routers you can afford, 2600 if you have the cash and start working with them. A switch would be handy as well but for starters you only need two or three pieces of equipment. Look at dynamips if you don't want to accumulate lots of equipment but some real equipment for starters is my advice.

Your study program is aggressive. I think it unlikely you will get much useful hands on before those projected test dates. Consider relaxing the schedule somewhat.
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Without proper hands on experience, you may struggle to sit the CCENT in two weeks.

Took me about 3 months to prepare for the Cisco CCNA 640-802 (I did the all-in-one)
  • Options
    mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I had no experience with Cisco prior to sitting the 640-822 ICND1 exam for CCENT. I prepared for 1.5 months prior to passing and that was a constant 4-5 hours per day, M-F. I believe that equates to somewhere between 130-170 hours of study. I used Todd Lammle's CCENT book, CBT nuggets, http://subnettingquestions.com, and whatever choice of simulator or real hardware of choice. I think that 2 weeks is a bit aggressive for no prior Cisco experience. If you could study for 8-16 hours a day for two weeks, sure it is possible. Though, power cramming doesn't really sit well with retaining the information, IMHO. The key is being able to apply what you learned.
  • Options
    Thanks all for your replies, I still didnt book the exam date, i checked and there is exam date available for 3rd of December which is around 3 weeks, I think i will book for that instead of going for 2 week as every one of you suggesting to relax the time.

I am going through with the web sites to see what material do i need to get, i have wendell Odom book.I am thinking to get video material of CBT Nuggets, but that seems to be around 400$,I am not sure weather i should go to buy or not?
    http://www.cbtnuggets.com/webapp/product?id=410

I have a 2900 XL switch, Trying to access the next privillage but dont know the password. Can any one please help me how to change the password?

Thanks again for all your replies, I would need your more help, how to prepare and pass :)

Regards
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    dublinguy wrote:
    Can any one please help me how to change the password?
    Here's an index page of Password Recovery procedures for Cisco Equipment

You probably want to follow the link for Catalyst 2900-XL/3500-XL Series Switches
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote:
    dublinguy wrote:

You probably want to follow the link for Catalyst 2900-XL/3500-XL Series Switches

Thanks Mike it worked, I am in the switch and trying the commands now. Would you have some suggestion about buying the video lectures from cbt nuggets?

I have one switch, should i buy just 1 Cisco router 2500..??

Thanks
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    dublinguy wrote:
    mikej412 wrote:
    dublinguy wrote:

Thanks Mike it worked, I am in the switch and trying the commands now. Would you have some suggestion about buying the video lectures from CBT Nuggets?

Thanks

If you are still learning password recovery on cisco devices you have a long way to go. I think you are better off putting your exam back until the new year and spending the rest of this year getting stuck into the reading list and practicing the rudiments on some equipment. The CCNA track will start to make a lot more sense then and add more value should you obtain it.
  • Options
    Turgon wrote:

If you are still learning password recovery on cisco devices you have a long way to go. I think you are better off putting your exam back until the new year and spending the rest of this year getting stuck into the reading list and practicing the rudiments on some equipment. The CCNA track will start to make a lot more sense then and add more value should you obtain it.

Thanks Turgon for the advise, I actually studied a bit year ago never had proper time to geather all together for the exam,never had my hands on cisco switch or router.

I had gone through the following chapters previously so i think will be good after a short study or revision,

ISO 7 Layer Model & Network Media
    IOS Basics
    Local Area Networks
    Wireless LANs
    Routing
    The Internet and WANs

What do you think turgon will i be good to go for the exam?
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    You'll need to know a lot more than just the basics... The CCNA is very thorough, and deep.
  • Options
    mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dublinguy wrote:
    Thanks Mike it worked, I am in the switch and trying the commands now. Would you have some suggestion about buying the video lectures from CBT Nuggets?

If you can afford the CBT Nuggets, they are a great resource that many on these forums have found to be very helpful in their studies.

Definitely pickup a Cisco router if you can. The Cisco router 2501 does not support all the requirements that the 640-822 ICND1 exam tests for, but it supports at least about 80% of them all. At least you would have hands-on experience and if you plan to continue your Cisco studies any further, you can always use the 2501 router for supplementing your home lab during more complex studies such as CCNP and CCIE.
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Lot of links in this thread. Have they all been passed through the [Dynamik filter] to make sure they are safe ?
    Kam.