Options

Where to go after college?

OceanJetOceanJet Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm seeking advice on where I should go for employment after graduation from college. I am currently a junior with an Information Systems major and a 3.7 GPA. At the moment I am employed as a systems administrator for an insurance company and upon graduation day, I'll have right at five years of experience in my current position. In total I'll have 8+ years of IT experience. I do not have any Linux or Unix experience, but I do have experience with Business Objects and claims management software. Neither do I have any programming experience.

Anyways, where should I go after graduation within the IT field? I'd like to work as a business analyst, stay within the systems administration field, or work as a project manager. I'm attending school in Northern Virginia, so all of the IT consulting firms are near by such as Deloitte and Booz Allen Hamilton. Are the big IT consulting firms a good place to work? Or are the smaller shops a better work environment with similar pay? Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    wat08wat08 Member Posts: 128
    OceanJet wrote:
    I'm seeking advice on where I should go for employment after graduation from college. I am currently a junior with an Information Systems major and a 3.7 GPA. At the moment I am employed as a systems administrator for an insurance company and upon graduation day, I'll have right at five years of experience in my current position. In total I'll have 8+ years of IT experience. I do not have any Linux or Unix experience, but I do have experience with Business Objects and claims management software. Neither do I have any programming experience.

Anyways, where should I go after graduation within the IT field? I'd like to work as a business analyst, stay within the systems administration field, or work as a project manager. I'm attending school in Northern Virginia, so all of the IT consulting firms are near by such as Deloitte and Booz Allen Hamilton. Are the big IT consulting firms a good place to work? Or are the smaller shops a better work environment with similar pay? Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks

The larger the consulting firm the more likely they are to have some sort of "new grad" program in place, so look for that. I have a bunch of friends who held internship positions at Deloitte and they raved about their job experience. In general, I'd say get involved with a company that offers you a clear path to where you want to be in 2-3 years. It wouldn't hurt to complement your major with an economics or business option/minor as that would enhance your marketability as an analyst.
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Apply as much as internship and gain as much as experience you can. However, you should look into Graudate program, too.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn