Options

I want an iPhone, but it is no use without tethering

jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
I asked our local (in the UK) distributor for the iPhone - O2 - whether they will support tethering at some point .. I had to find the answer in google as .. believe it or not .. the tech support didn't even know what tethering is ...

Several emails and and calls to tech support just revealed that they have no clue ....

Brilliant - this is what you need .. a tech support agent who as no clue about the technology he is working with every day ...

LOL - one guy even asked me to send him the link from wikipedia .... class ...

Oh and the answer is apparently "no" according to some dudes in random forums ...
My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    AT&T in the US announced last week they are working on a tethering plan but it will require an extra monthly fee. Sooner or later the providers in the EU and other countries will have to come up with similar plans to fill the demand for it. In my case hopefully before next summer.

ps. I just sent you a pm.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I believe a jail-broken iPhone can be tethered.

I saw those plans for tethering, and the cost seemed ridiculous.
  • Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well, I've never heard of tethering. icon_lol.gif
    Then again not all of us work with iPhones or Blackberries.
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I don't think you need a smart phone for tethering.

I found a guide for how to do it with an Iphone: http://lifehacker.com/5086490/the-best-way-to-tether-your-iphone-to-your-laptop-for-free
  • Options
    Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    i stated a thread a long time ago asking if this was possible with my tytn 2, at the time i didnt know what it was called but now i do

http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=31099

and i dont even have this laptop anymore so i dont even need an answer

icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    A jailbroken iPhone can also run an app that makes it very easy to tether. The app, NetShare, was actually in Apple's App store for a short moment. Apple suddenly removed it (assumingly cause it didn't make AT&T very happy) and after a day or so it was available again only to be removed again. I assume NetShare is still available for jailbroken iPhones, though it's not needed just handy to set it up quickly. Anyone interested on using it should check their contract terms because it's likely not allowed and can even result in extra charges when you exceed a certain norm.

I jailbroke my iPhone pretty much as soon as I got it (wanted IntelliScreen, SSH access and a background that actually appears on the home screens) but since I became a registered iPhone developer a few weeks later I restored to the original firmware because I don't feel comfortable testing apps on a hacked iPhone. SSH access was fun, but I can't say I really miss functionality especially since I didn't have it long enough to get used to it. The main problem with the App store rules is that they don't allow 'OS enhancements' which is obviously a broad term. It's also likely the next iTunes update will again, like the previous, include new security measures to prevent proper syncing with jailbroken iPhones. The iPhone dev team responsible for the jailbreaking software has to go further and further to allow the jailbreaking and apps for it to work. Even though you can use an emergency restore to restore the original firmware, there are risks to consider for both jailbreaking and tethering.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well we want to use the iphone as company phones and therefore jailbreaking is a nono ...

The main point I tried to make is how pathetic O2 is not knowing what tethering actually is :):)

And I have tried Netshare for a while with a friends iphone .. it seems to work but it is not stable enough (maybe because his phone is jailbreaked) ... we need a reliable tethering connection .. the last thing I need is an emergency call when I am ont he way and I cannot login because my hacked phone died on me ...
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p