Options

cisco 2900xl image needed for VTP

livenliven Member Posts: 918
I thought this image would support vtp:

x2900XL-c3h2s-mz.120-5.WC3b.bin.....

Cisco's site says this:

Note: The Catalyst 2900XL series switches with Cisco IOS Software Release 11.2(icon_cool.gifSA4 and later support VTP protocol. The Cisco IOS Software Release 11.2(icon_cool.gifSA3 and earlier code do not support VTP protocol on Catalyst 2900XL series switches
encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.

Comments

• Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    There are a few models in the 2900XL series that does not support VTP, or trunking in general for that matter.

Cisco 2900XL Series
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I don't think any of the XL models would limit you. Just upgrade your IOS.

Switch IOS upgrades can be downloaded from Cisco with the free account - just sign up.

To see how much flash memory you have to support your upgrade, use "show flash"

It will most likely give you your total in bytes. Most models have 4MB and will display something like "3612672 bytes total", which tells you have about 3.6MB of memory installed. You really have 4MB, but it's not all useable. The bytes free output will tell you how much memory you have left.

Your CCNA textbook should tell you how to upgrade the IOS. I would explain but I am tired of typing.

:)
  • Options
    Netwurk wrote:

Switch IOS upgrades can be downloaded from Cisco with the free account - just sign up.

To see how much flash memory you have to support your upgrade, use "show flash"

It will most likely give you your total in bytes. Most models have 4MB and will display something like "3612672 bytes total", which tells you have about 3.6MB of memory installed. You really have 4MB, but it's not all useable. The bytes free output will tell you how much memory you have left.

Your CCNA textbook should tell you how to upgrade the IOS. I would explain but I am tired of typing.

I am well aware of how to upgrade IOS. I was just hoping that one of my fellow brains would be able to confirm if this IOS would support VTP.

I think I have a newer IOS to try, so I will see what happens.

Thanks all!
  • Options
    Sorry - didn't quite get what you were after. The 2900XL-c3h2s-mz.120-5.WC3b.bin will support VTP.

120-5 translates to version 12.0 (5) and that's well above the 11.2 release that Cisco tells you won't support VTP.

I use a 12.0 image (c2900xl-c3h2l9s-mz.120-5.WC9.bin) for my 2900 switches - but any version 11.3 or higher will work

Cheers
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Bookmark this for future reference: http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/jsp/index.jsp

It's a slick tool.
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    Netwurk wrote:

Go ahead and try to upgrade the IOS to 12.0 on a WS-C2924-XL or WS-C2924C-XL
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    It is free to get an IOS?

I didn't know that.

I have some 1721 Routers here that may need an upgrade... Excellent
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    AFAIK, they're only free for switches, unless something changed recently.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    gorebrush wrote:

I didn't know that.

You used to just need a guest account to download IOS for switches but it was changed awhile back. You have always had to have a SMARTnet contract for routers.
  • Options
    Ah.

I don't have a SMARTnet, however, my work has a support contract in place for all the Cisco kit... maybe I might be able to get them to obtain a newer IOS (If they have a SMARTnet, and are kind enough to retrieve one)

Can I do that?
  • Options
    gorebrush wrote:

I didn't know that.

It's only free for switches, not routers. Subject to change I am sure.

Netwurk wrote:

Go ahead and try to upgrade the IOS to 12.0 on a WS-C2924-XL or WS-C2924C-XL

Well he didn't post his model. Hopefully he has the EN (enterprise) model. But that's a real good point, especially for anyone trying to decide on what model to buy.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    gorebrush wrote:
    Ah.

I don't have a SMARTnet, however, my work has a support contract in place for all the Cisco kit... maybe I might be able to get them to obtain a newer IOS (If they have a SMARTnet, and are kind enough to retrieve one)

Can I do that?
    If you have a SMARTnet contract then you can actually download IOS for anything. Cisco have a clickthrough that says that they may charge you however if they find you downloading something you shouldn't.
  • Options
    I'm sure this has been posted before, bit I wanted to add that IOS images are just files that can be "shared" amongst fellow lab enthusiasts. The whole SmartNET thing is to make sure corporations pay for their images. Cisco cops ain't gonna be knocking on your door if you copy a file from work and bring it home. That's called being dedicated to network support.

Just beg, borrow, but don't steal.

;)
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Netwurk wrote:
    I'm sure this has been posted before, bit I wanted to add that IOS images are just files that can be "shared" amongst fellow lab enthusiasts. The whole SmartNET thing is to make sure corporations pay for their images. Cisco cops ain't gonna be knocking on your door if you copy a file from work and bring it home. That's called being dedicated to network support.

;)

Hmmm... Can you share your source that says an IOS can be shared? Or did you just make that up?

I do not see that anywhere in the IOS Software License Agreement.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Netwurk wrote:

;)

Hmmm... Can you share your source that says an IOS can be shared? Or did you just make that up?

I do not see that anywhere in the IOS Software License Agreement.

That's for corporations - but you rich kids go ahead and make us struggling working folks follow rules that aren't designed for us.

Sorry, but I remember the old days when techs actually helped each other out.

I will go back to being politically correct so that my posts don't get deleted.

My apologies.
  • Options
    There is no issue with helping people out and I am no saint either (far from it), but you should say that it is your opinion and not state it as a fact.
  • Options
    I'm trying to drop hints so that folks just getting started with labs don't have to spend thousands to get their labs going. If you want to flame my posts and help make Cisco richer, then go ahead. Don't get me wrong. I like Cisco, but I care more about the little guy.

If I go astray and say too much, the moderators will delete my post. So let them decide.
  • Options
    Netwurk wrote:
    I'm trying to drop hints so that folks just getting started with labs don't have to spend thousands to get their labs going. If you want to flame my posts and help make Cisco richer, then go ahead. Don't get me wrong. I like Cisco, but I care more about the little guy.

If I go astray and say too much, the moderators will delete my post. So let them decide.

Like I said nothing wrong with helping people out.

Everyone breaks the rules but that doesn't mean you need to come on hear and push illegal use of any companies software as acceptable.

Like you said that is the mods decision and not mine weather it is allowed or not. I just wanted to warn the people getting started that those methods of obtaining an IOS are not supported or in line with the IOS Software Agreement as far as I know even though pretty much everyone does it. Just because everyone does something doesn't mean its right though....
  • Options
    Agreed. I am going to go back to trying to put my new 3550 into my rack.

I hope this darn Skeletek rack doesn't tip over from the added weight.

Will post new pics soon in the pics thread.

I know, I know.

You all can't wait to see it.

• Options
    gorebrush demands pictars
  • Options
    gorebrush wrote:

Coming soon. Need the wife's OK to borrow the camera

icon_eek.gif
  • Options
    Netwurk wrote:
    gorebrush wrote:

icon_eek.gif

Do I hear a whip crack?

Just kidding I'd have to get the camera from my wife too :D
  • Options
    Netwurk wrote:
    gorebrush wrote:

icon_eek.gif

Do I hear a whip crack?

Just kidding I'd have to get the camera from my wife too :D

I have no choice. I only use it a few times a year and I have to ask her because I have no clue where it is. So I can't even grab it when she's not looking.

• Options
    This thread slid a little.

This is exactly the model I have:

Model number: WS-C2924M-XL-EN

With IOS:

System image file is "flash:c2900XL-c3h2s-mz.120-5.WC3b.bin"

But when I go into VTP mode I can't change the domain name or anything like that.

It is really frustrating me.
  • Options
    When I try to go into VTP configuration mode this is all I get:

catalyst_2900_als1(config)# vtp ?
    file Configure IFS filesystem file where VTP configuration is stored.

I can't really change anything...
  • Options
    OH SNAP!!!!

On the 2924 series you have to go into the vlan database mode to configure VTP...

Well i learned something today!!!
  • Options
    liven wrote:
    OH SNAP!!!!

On the 2924 series you have to go into the vlan database mode to configure VTP...

Well i learned something today!!!

This is why most people recommend 2950/60s. The commands structure of the 2900xl models are different. If these are the only switches you are using ensure you know the syntax for the exam as well.
  • Options
    The 2005 edition of the CCNA Command Quick Reference (by ciscopress) has a section that gives you all the CCNA level switch commands for the 1900, 2900, and 2950 models. It's very helpful when you have a variety of switches. And it can help you transition when you upgrade.

VLAN database mode isn't being tested on anymore, but it still works on most of the newer switches. You get a warning if you try to use it, but it does work

Sw3550#vlan database
    % Warning: It is recommended to configure VLAN from config mode,
    as VLAN database mode is being deprecated. Please consult user
    documentation for configuring VTP/VLAN in config mode.

• Options
    Netwurk wrote:
    The 2005 edition of the CCNA Command Quick Reference (by ciscopress) has a section that gives you all the CCNA level switch commands for the 1900, 2900, and 2950 models. It's very helpful when you have a variety of switches. And it can help you transition when you upgrade.

VLAN database mode isn't being tested on anymore, but it still works on most of the newer switches. You get a warning if you try to use it, but it does work

Sw3550#vlan database
    % Warning: It is recommended to configure VLAN from config mode,
    as VLAN database mode is being deprecated. Please consult user
    documentation for configuring VTP/VLAN in config mode.

Thanks!

I realize vlan database is out of scope. I already have my CCNA, I am actually studying for CCNP, so I did a bad thing posting here.

I was just trying to figure out what whas going on with this switch.

Thanks guys for all of your help!!!