Options

Update on my new job

scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
My third day and I am loving it. While I am not working with all Cisco gear or more complex tasks I still love it. Funny thing is that I really have not used any of my CCNP knowledge at all while being here since I am working at a telco. The only thing that is even really mentioned at all are vfrs, but are only touched upon in the NetAcad. It is definitely interesting to see the view from the service provider though. Very laid back place with jeans and a T-shirt as the daily wear.

Anyone know and good links to learn ATM?
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Its nice to see your enjoying the work! I'm enjoying my time on the service provider side of things also. You get exposure to a lot of diverse stuff rather than working on the same LAN every day.

Sorry, no god links for ATM. I could google for one but I'm sure you have that approach covered already icon_wink.gif
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    My third day and I am loving it.

While I am not working with all Cisco gear or more complex tasks I still love it.

Funny thing is that I really have not used any of my CCNP knowledge at all while being here...

It is definitely interesting to see the view from the service provider though.

Very laid back place with jeans and a T-shirt as the daily wear.

Did you get a job at McDonald's?

I'm glad you're lovin' it ;)
  • Options
    scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    My third day and I am loving it.

While I am not working with all Cisco gear or more complex tasks I still love it.

Funny thing is that I really have not used any of my CCNP knowledge at all while being here...

It is definitely interesting to see the view from the service provider though.

Very laid back place with jeans and a T-shirt as the daily wear.

Did you get a job at McDonald's?

I'm glad you're lovin' it ;)

Funny you should mention that! The guy who is training me wore a McDonald's shirt to work the other day. Apparently it was originally an inside joke there. He was promoted up to the NOC from the helpless desk. Well before that happened the helpless desk got a bunch of new people that were supposed to be tech people, but in fact really weren't and one of the supervisor apparently went off the edge one day saying that he thought he got techs, not burger flippers from McDonald's... So being the smartass that my trainer is he started wearing McDonald's shirts to work.
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Take it easy and working your way up. Most Senior guy will not let junior or not related staff to touch their equipments.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Options
    NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    that's cool. This is a permanent position, correct?
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • Options
    ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    I also currently work in the Telco Business right now. Definately not what i want to do since i want to move to the Cisco side of things. I work in the NRB Network Repair Bureau next to the NOC and was shocked to find out that the NOC makes less than most of the NRB Techs.

Had a recruiter call me today about a position in the NOC for a 3 year contract for 6 bucks less that i am making in the NRB.

Of course this is contract work so i cant say for sure about a actual employee.
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress