Options

Transcender Tests for SY0-101

cb22cb22 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
The problem I find with Transcender is that the information is not current. It seems to be based on the 2005 version of the test, and not updated for the 2007 version. Never mind the 2008 version, I'm sure Transcender will release an entire new product since the test SKU is different. Is it that just I cannot locate an update to Transcender's SY0-101, or is it as I assume, still the 2005 version?

This is my 1st post here. Been studying via the LearnKey "All-in-One" Exam Guide, the ExamCram books, Transcender tests, MeasureUp tests, and TestOut tests. I just found this site this past week and have been using its resources as well. My Sec+ test is tomorrow and while I've been feeling prepared for the past week or two, I've been doubting my readiness for the past 2 or so days as so many folks have stated that various books are needed for 'overlap'. I also feel I'm missing updates in Transcender's tests. Thoughts?

Thanks...Corey
The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    There wasn't a 2007 update to the Security+ in terms of content. CompTIA sometimes updates the year in the title to make the exam look more relevant, but I believe all the content came from 2005. I'm not sure what you don't like about Transcender; I thought their Security+ exam was one of their better products. They will release a new product, not an update for the new 2008 objectives. You'll still be able to take the old one for a few months, so that really shouldn't affect you.

Welcome to the forums :D
  • Options
    I was told that the test had updated content added to the objectives, such as WPA for example. Its not that I don't like Transcender, its quite the opposite. Its a fantastic study aid that I would have paid double the price for. I thought that since there was no newer technology included (such as WPA) that it was not current...this was based on misinformation given to me. Seems that my source was wrong and that the 2007 version of the test is updated in name only.

I also came to find out that he never took the test.

-Corey
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    They did update the exam which came out recently the transender you're referring to is for the older exam, so it will be missing a lot of information I would assume.
  • Options
    Yes, but you can still register for the old exam. They scheduled in some overlap, so people aren't caught off guard.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:
    Yes, but you can still register for the old exam. They scheduled in some overlap, so people aren't caught off guard.

Yea I know the old one is still being offered but personally I would never take an older version of a security exam just for the face how quickly it changes. I was going to try and do this sooner but am waiting until next year once the updated material is out a little while.
  • Options
    My worry was that the test was labeled as "2007", thus I thought it had newer info compared to what was in the Transcender tests. I was prompted by bad info given from a coworker. No worries as I just got home from taking it and passed with an 840 :D The bulk of my studying was notes from the All-In-One book and the Transcender tests. I used MeasureUp and TestOut but no where near as much as Transcenders.

-Corey
  • Options
    Congrats on the pass!!
  • Options
    Yea, that's a fine plan too. I was saying that more for the OP since it seems like he's ready to go. If I was in a position to take the old one, I'd go ahead and do that. I can always can updated resources as they're released and learn the new topics. You're going to end up with a Security+ either way.

Edit: I guess a lot happened in the ten minutes from when I opened up this tab icon_lol.gif Congratulations on the pass! What's next for you?
  • Options
    I never even knew of the 2008 version until I went to register for the test. By that time I had a lot of time invested in studying so I went with the 2007 version. Any word on whether CompTIA will make an update "bridge" type test or not, like what Microsoft does to update from 2000 to 2003, etc?

-Corey
  • Options
    No, CompTIA exams are good for life. There are no updates or anything like that. When Shednik takes his 2008 version, you'll both simply be Security+ certified. There's no difference in that respect.
  • Options
    Seems like the Net+ - CCNA - CISSP path has been followed by many folks so I'll probably proceed that way, with the CCNA in the next few months.
  • Options
    cb22 wrote:
    Seems like the Net+ - CCNA - CISSP path has been followed by many folks so I'll probably proceed that way, with the CCNA in the next few months.

Did you mean CCSP? the CCNA and CISSP are two VERY different certifications.
  • Options
    I mean the CCNA (network associate) in the next few months. The ultimate goal is CISSP but there will no doubt be more in between the CCNA and CISSP, possibly finishing the MCSA as I'm 1 exam away. I'm in the network/data group at work so the CCNA will definitely help out immediately, as we're planning on moving from an Enterasys shop to a Cisco shop in the next year; however, my ultimate goals down the road are within the security realm.

Everything I read on the CCSP seems to allude to the fact that a CCNA beforehand would be very helpful.
  • Options
    cb22 wrote:
    Everything I read on the CCSP seems to allude to the fact that a CCNA beforehand would be very helpful.

Not just helpful but required a CCNA and CCNA Security :D - http://www.cisco.com/go/ccsp
  • Options
    harristsharrists Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    From my experience, Transcender is not very suitable for Comptia Security+, but not sure for new Security+ 2008