Options

limited or no connectivity

Kevin10686Kevin10686 Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
ok, my pc that is hardwired keeps saying limited or no connectivity but my laptop is able to jump onto my wireless router fine. I installed service pack 3 and ever since I have gotten that...any body know a fix? please!!!

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Are you getting an IP through your wired connection? Check and make sure you have DHCP enabled.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    I am getting a Autoconfiguration IP Address of 169.254.217.84 and yes it is enabled
  • Options
    Kevin10686 wrote:
    I am getting a Autoconfiguration IP Address of 169.254.217.84 and yes it is enabled

That is not coming from DHCP. That is an auto address you get when you do not get an IP via DHCP (not trying to insult your intelligence but not sure if you know that). That is why you are getting the limited connectivity. Make sure DHCP is enabled on your device you are plugged into.
  • Options
    I keep doing it and it says enabled but am still getting the auto ip. don't know what I may be doing wrong. As I been researching this has been a big issue with Service Pack 3 but I also uninstalled that as well.
  • Options
    Have you checked the device you are hooked to? It is probably not your machine if you are able to get an IP via wireless.
  • Options
    Use Router as DHCP Server is checked on my netgear router..on my pc that is connected hardwire it says DHCP enabled..my laptop says DHCP enabled...so everything is checked and enabled.
  • Options
    ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    Sounds like a bad NIC Card or faulty cable have you tried replacing the cable yet or NIC
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • Options
    tried different cables haven't tried a different NIC
  • Options
    ULWiz wrote:
    Sounds like a bad NIC Card or faulty cable have you tried replacing the cable yet or NIC

Probably not a bad cable or you wouldn't get any type of connection. May be a bad NIC. Do you have another machine to plug in to verify?
  • Options
    ladiesman217ladiesman217 Member Posts: 416
    You may have a bad winsock, you may want to download winsockxpfix.....search it on google. It will reset your tcp/ip settings or you can use the netsh int ip reset command.
    No Sacrifice, No Victory.
  • Options
    ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    Ahh Yeah did not read his question well. If the other comments dont solve your issue get a new NIC they are under 4 bucks currently.
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • Options
    I did the winsock and it doesn't seem to fix it. I don't know..I will keep trying things and keep you all posted. Thanks for the help.
  • Options
    Do you have wireshark? If not its a free download. Just run it and see whats going on with your DHCP requests.
  • Options
    SWMSWM Member Posts: 287
    Slow your PC nic down from 1GB or 100MB to 10MB full or half duplex.
    I have seen many routers that start to die and can nol onger connect at 100mb
    Isn't Bill such a Great Guy!!!!
  • Options
    Ok, I fixed the one part but now still won't connect to the Internet...it gets an IP though now.
  • Options
    n/m after a reboot it went back to the auto ip...so now I am assuming it is a NIC failure
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    Kevin10686 wrote:

That means you are not able to get a DHCP assigned address. Google "APIPA".
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Try configuring it with a static IP and pinging the router. Let's determine if the problem is with DHCP.
  • Options
    CaptainCharismaCaptainCharisma Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ULWiz wrote:

Probably not a bad cable or you wouldn't get any type of connection. May be a bad NIC. Do you have another machine to plug in to verify?

Actually a bad cable is possible. Just a few weeks ago at work I was trying to figure out why one computer in the warehouse where I work was getting an APIPA address, and I found that the cable had been damaged in two places. One was a cut through the outer sheathing which may have burred the wires inside, the other was the RJ-45 was missing the clip and it just so happened that the network jack it was plugged into was mounted upside down, so it wasn't maintaining full connection because gravity wanted to pull it out of the jack.

Replaced the cable and the machine was able to contact a DHCP server and get a correct DHCP address.
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    you might need to download the drivers for the ethernet card...i had this problem a few years ago. it drove me crazy, cuz i changed my modem, my cables, and i would have changed the NIC card, but it was intergrated. so i decided to use my other pc. when i decided to re-image the original pc, i had to download the drivers first, and when i installed it, the original pc was able to connect again...

so long story short...download the drivers for the NIC card. if you have like a dell, toshiba, gateway, etc, go to their website and they should have the drivers on there...
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    everytime it reboots it goes back to the auto ip but when I do get it back to my IP it still doesn't allow me to open a website.
  • Options
    Ok, I plugged in laptop directly to comcast modem and disabled my wireless and did ipconfig /all and I get the auto IP for my laptop to now. Does that mean the modem is bad?
  • Options
    JavonRJavonR Member Posts: 245
    go into device manager, right click your nic and uninstall. Reboot machine and windows will automatically install a generic driver, works 95% of the time.
  • Options
    Kevin10686 wrote:
    Ok, I plugged in laptop directly to comcast modem and disabled my wireless and did ipconfig /all and I get the auto IP for my laptop to now. Does that mean the modem is bad?

Maybe. Have you tried to reboot it?
  • Options
  • Options
    rwtodd2007rwtodd2007 Member Posts: 10 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You can call Comcast and they can send an auto correct signal to the modem. I have had to do this a few times.
  • Options
    yeah Comcast sucks..I am about to go with Verizon Fios...talked to them last night and they said to call Netgear(my wireless router) and I was like my wireless works. They are IDIOTS