mcp tutor

I was disappointed to have failed 270, I came very close, I fear now that I will go into an endless cycle, The cycle being, the next test I will get a lower score than the one I just got, then maybe the 3rd attempt, get a higher score, and just missing. I really want to nail the exam on the next attempt, my second attempt can someone help, sort of an online tutor, thankyoui, we can discuss
at my email address if its more convenient. thankyou
forever111@yahoo.com

Comments

• RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You have many tutors in this forum! Just post you questions here.
  • ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    I second that previous post. If you failed this test once already what did your print out say was your weak area.

Ask away the forum is here to help you succeed
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Disclaimer: I'm saying this only as constructive criticism; I'm not trying to discourage you from posting.

I've noticed that you've been asking a lot of relatively basic questions as you've been working on this exam. I think you're really cheating yourself out of the full learning process by doing this. Most, if not all of us have gotten to the more advanced levels that we're at by spending a lot of time struggling through the concepts we don't understand. It seems like you're just firing off questions as soon as you come across something that isn't perfectly clear, and you are consequently skipping that entire process.

For example, I saw your thread the other day where you asked about the difference between last known good configuration, safe mode, and system restore. In a few google/technet queries, I was able to come up with an excellent guide for troubleshooting the startup process, and another one exclusively about system restore. Sometimes you need to put in a little extra effort and go beyond the MS Press books (or whatever resource you're using) and find the answers for yourself. It's really important that you start developing good troubleshooting and research skills ASAP because you more than likely aren't going to have someone to hold your hand while you're on the job.

Like I said, I'm not trying to be harsh or discourage you. I just think you need to work on your study/research habits. Maybe do something like force yourself to spend a half hour researching whatever topic before asking about it. I think you'll be surprised at what you can find on your own.
  • susuandmesusuandme Member Posts: 136
    Hello Members,

My dilemma is I think I will pass my next try on the 270 exam, but I will get destroyed on Permissions, and Domain and Active directory questions, since I have no experience or work exprience in this area. I taught myself for 6 months and I need help on permissions, Active directory and domains, Sharing in a domain setting, Network protocols, Deployment and unattended installations.

I do not know why I had problems with permissions, but I am used to answering "simple questions" on permissions. But when I took the actual exam,
    the permission question was phrased so complicated and went on and on and on, that I actualy froze and went into a brain fog, when I saw the time beginning to run out, I just marked the question for review, and left it for the end, because it was so complicated. If I am going to pass this test next time, I need to focus on Permissions, RIS deployment, attended, and unattened installations, and Subnet Connection problems while connecting to other servers, and proxies, etc.

Can someone let me now how I can strengthen these weaknesses I have, I use the book, but the explanations and questions, don't come close to what the permission type questions are on 270. Some of you I know find permissions easy, but I find it extremely complicated in a long winded type complicted question.
    Please help me strengthen these weakness so I can pass on my next try.
    thankyou, Rick
  • ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    Rick,

My best advise for permission is to actually set permission on folders and allow certain users certain access. Then work with the folder and see what that user can do if he has permission from two groups etc.

In my opinion this would be one of the best ways for you to understand this objective

Not sure what else to say here on this one.
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Rick,

If you can afford it, I'd recommend the 70-270 series from the CBT Nuggets. It does a pretty good job on the exam objectives and permissions.

The thing here with the exam is that they mix and match the share and ntfs permissions whereas in the real world, you'll almost always set the share permissions as full for everyone and lock it down with security. Microsoft is really trying to test your knowledge on permissions.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Maybe go for a slight different approach .. take me for example - my next certification .. or goal at least .. is MSSQL 2005 related .. I have no expeirence whatsover ..

So personally I bought Beginner books - generic books SQL related and not exam realated. Most exams do requrie experience ...

Take 70-270 for example, Microsoft reccomends having at least one year experience in administrating operating systems in a networked environment.

What helped me when I started : MARK MINASI

His books are brilliant - hell sometimes I even laughed the way he writes things (and finds funny examples).

Search for Mark Minasi on amazon .. here is one example :

http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Windows-XP-Professional-Mastering-Mark-Minasi/dp/0782143822/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1226935644&sr=8-15
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Mark Minasi is a good guy. He's great at presenting. I watched him present Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7 last week at Exchange Connections. I met him afterwords and he's a good guy to chat with as well.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
    Hello members,

I understand what you mean about doing my own research
    I've googled a lot of stuff, but sometimes I come up empty.

Concepts are crucial to understand, I agree, knowing just
    definitions are not going to help me on these scenario based
    questions on the real exam.

I just want to be able to lock down certain key areas I am weak on
    that is permissions, but complicated permission type questions.

The RIS deployment, but not just the straight way that the MS press book
    describes it, ... the real exam puts the RIS deployment in a complicated scenario type setting.

I also found myself surprisingly Weak at simple protocol type questions, about "Why a User who is part of a subnet was not able to connect to the internet, and they gave an exhibit , with subnets, ip address, dns, dhscp , wins servers, and proxies inthe picture. I was totally lost, even though I studied my Classes and subnets masks and ping commands pretty well, I froze up there.

I scored very well on peformance issues and utilties like system monitor and task manager, but did not do well on administratration tyhpe quesions about domains active directorys, Share access epecially, and PERMISSIONS. Rick
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Like I said - go with some generic books rather than a certification book .. those books specific to certifications pretty much demand experience and a basic understanding.

And again : The Mark Minasi book series helps a lot with basics. We cannot read stuff for you - this is something you really have to do yourself ...

@ Subnetting : Check out this tool :

http://faculty.valleycollege.net/rpowell/jscript/subnet2.htm

This helps you practising ...
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • phorriganphorrigan Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    you know, I can totally understand where you are coming from, I honestly just enjoyed computers for along time, and I was always scared of taking exams. I worked as a wal mart store manager for 3 years, I was a mover/repo man at a rent a center for two years, and then just got mad that I wasn't in the IT field, in 2 years I've gotten MCSA, MCITP, MCTS mobile messanging and a decent help desk job, the only thing I can really give for advice is, hard work pays off. I read these forums for along time and never really posted ( yeah im' that guy who reads and never posts, i know, i suck) but if there is one piece of advice I can give you, its dont sell yourself short, if your not ahead in the IT industry, you are behind. A star wars qoute, Your focus determines your reality.
    thanks,

appreciate the tool you sent, and advice from all,
    I don't mind working and studying hard,

two weeks before my test I actually studied close to 12 hours each day
    before the test, it interpreted into a close but no cookie score.

I will need to excel at permissions, Network Shares, RIS, , upgrading and deployment
    and the Network protocol and configuration type quesions. As you can see most of the stuff I'm weak at is administrative, or administering type questions.

I will use the book you recommended just now, problem was I am missing the basic concepts and so when I look at a question I am trying to figure it out lacking the conceptual understanding of the question which is obtained through on the job expeience. A lot of these books, and I have all the most popular one's, do not drill down into the basic concepts., which you get either from the classroom or experience. thanks

I hope one day I can write here on the board " I passed".
  • aidan80aidan80 Member Posts: 147 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I haven't actually sat the 70-270 yet but I can tell you one thing from my own experience so far and if any of the practice tests are half way accurate. Doing the A+, N+ and having some experience on the job will make the 70-270 a lot easier. The networking stuff in 70-270 so far are quite straight forward, I hammered it into my head for the N+I admit if you don't work with permissions at all things can get very complicated very fast. I'd setup a VM (which I did) one with an eval version of Server 2003 and another with XP Pro on it.. read, do it.. break it a few times.. put it together again and understand how it all works, fits and can be broken. Ask questions people will happily help of course.

Well at least that's whats worked for me so far. I do relate to how difficult the question are (practice at least) and how confusing they can be. I could understand looking at some of them and thinking... WTF is this $hite, this isn't in the book and it won't be in just one book. I just got done with MS Kit for 70-270 and I'll be getting another book very shortly. Maybe just after the New Year I'll sit the exam. I also signed up for the second chance offer (is that what it's called?) Microsoft have on offer. They will allow you to resit the test a second time for free if you sign up/use the code when you book your test.

Good luck!