Options

Need Some Guidance -- New to Cisco Networking

KingfisherKingfisher Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I am a complete newbie looking to get into Cisco networking. I want to begin studying for the CCENT and then CCNA, and then CCNP. So far I have made a list of the following to study with. Please let me know which I can do without and if there is anything I should replace. I am a recent college graduate (non-IT), currently with no job and am depending on my parents until I can find a suitable IT job preferably after I get my CCENT and CCNA certificates. Your help and guidance is very much appreciated!!

*CCNA Study Guide by Todd Lammle 5th Edition. (6th edition to be published end of January -- should I wait for 6th edition or just purchase the 5th?) ----$35

*CCNA Official Exam Cert. Library 3rd Edition by Wendell Odom ----$55

*CCNA Virtual Lab Titanium Edition 2.09 by Todd Lammle ----$120
--or-- Boson NetSim ----$200

*CBT Nuggets CCNA Videos ----$400

*CiscoKits.com 3Router& 3Switch Lab Kit ----$400
Contains:
1-2520 Router
1-2521 Router
1-2610 Router
1-2924 --or-- 2924M Switch
2-1900 Switches (Upgrade to a 2924 for $40ea.)

Comments

• Options
    ConstantlyLearningConstantlyLearning Member Posts: 445
    I'm using the Lammle book, the Odom book and the CBT nuggets and think they're all good.

The 6th Ed. of the Lammle book is already out btw.
    "There are 3 types of people in this world, those who can count and those who can't"
  • Options
    TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    Here's a article you can read to find out what handware you'll need for a lab: http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/24916

It'll be cheaper to buy from ebay piece by piece rather then Ciscokits.
  • Options
    Is there anything in that list that I can do without and which isnt necessary?
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    The switches are junk. You'll want 2950's.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    +1

I have a 2908XL and a 1900.

Junk.

Am on the lookout for 3550/60's :D
  • Options
    How are the 2924's and why are the switches "junk" ??
  • Options
    They just don't support the level of features that you need on the latest versions of the exams.

Though I can setup VLAN's on the 1900 - the procedures are slightly different.

(IIRC)
  • Options
    Are the routers I have listed okay?
  • Options
    TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    Kingfisher wrote:
    Are the routers I have listed okay?

Try reading those articles I posted and you'll have some answers for your questions. Both about the switches and routers.

I don't want to sound mean but it takes some research before buying equipment and that article helps with any questions, no matter if you'll buy off ebay or not.
  • Options
    Very true, I've been working with Cisco equipment for 5 months now, and even with a CCNA, I do not have a full grasp of all the different model lines and what not.

I'm aware of the "current" ones - like 28xx, 36xx, 37xx, 38xx, and the relevant switches, but the older ones I'm not sure.

Though I've learnt a lot lately.