Options

Clonezilla

KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
Anyone try this problem. Few of the IT guys that I met at the conference told me that it is a third party product that work much better than Ghost and TrueImage.

Comment?
Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn

Comments

• Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    [sarcasm]It's got a really nice GUI, I'll give it that[/sarcasm]:
    http://clonezilla.org/clonezilla-server-edition/

In a business, I don't care if it's small/medium/enterprise, but if you don't provide official support for a product, then no thanks.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    SilentsoulSilentsoul Member Posts: 260
    http://www.fogproject.org/

I did a little writeup not to long ago on it. You do have to have a machine running Debian/Red hat. Ubuntu is a great choice. I had a problem with RIS, I could not use it across subnets so i setup a laptop as a mobile imaging lab, that and 16 port switch and I can image anywhere I need.

It is free, has a TON of great features and is very very fast. It has an automatic Host name changer and it will join AD automatically after imaging.

It is a little more work to setup than some things but the forums/community are really good and the thing just works.

Also if you have a single NTFS partition it will re size it, 4 gigs to about 2.4. You can also put the image from a larger drive on a smaller drive, as long as the data is not over the size of the larger drive. Does that make sense? A lot of programs act goofy if you go from say and 80GB to a 40 GB drive.

I Highly recommend.

edit:
    I just took a look at that Clonezilla, and it looks like crap, Look at FOG you will be much happier. It has a very well put together interface.
  • Options
    Thak for hte info. I will look into it.
  • Options
    SilentsoulSilentsoul Member Posts: 260
    No problem, if you run into any problems let me know I will try to give you a hand I have been using it in the enterprise for about 2 months now.
  • Options
    paintb4707paintb4707 Member Posts: 420
    royal wrote:
    [sarcasm]It's got a really nice GUI, I'll give it that[/sarcasm]:
    http://clonezilla.org/clonezilla-server-edition/

In a business, I don't care if it's small/medium/enterprise, but if you don't provide official support for a product, then no thanks.

Can't say much for Acronis support either really... You're practically on your own with their products. Their support typically doesn't exceed long delayed witty email transactions that usually don't even resolve the issue. Don't even try to call their phone support because they'll just try to email you a list of instructions instead of walking you through anything.

I've had a case open for literally FOUR months of fighting with them over email. They finally gave me some batch files to use instead of the application itself and said that I'd have to wait for the next release version for my issue to get resolved. Fantastic. This isn't a tiny issue either, it's something wrong with the consolidation wizard. Guess what? I have to manually delete backups every week until those morons figure it out (if they ever do).
  • Options
    You are right, the clonzilla just not working well with our Dell 755 WKS.... none of the image come out right or completed installed.